I really love the way our guys carry themselves

glenn__davis

Was out most of the day so just watched the game highlights and saw the catch by Garcia. And afterwards, saw some of the chest pumping and other dramatics. I'm not trying to come down on Garcia, it was a great catch and saved the game and I'm sure he was pumped about it, and he deserved to let it flow a bit. But you really just don't see our guys do stuff like that, even in big spots.

Meanwhile, as they showed Davis, he gave a nice subtle point of the finger out to Garcia, acknowledging the great play.

I know others will probably disagree, but I just really love the way this team carries themselves. There's very little "look-at-me" stuff that goes on with our guys, and there's always a lot of respect shown to the opponent. I think Buck deserves a lot of the credit for that, but honestly I think we've got a good bunch of guys to root for.

Was out most of the day so just watched the game highlights and saw the catch by Garcia. And afterwards, saw some of the chest pumping and other dramatics. I'm not trying to come down on Garcia, it was a great catch and saved the game and I'm sure he was pumped about it, and he deserved to let it flow a bit. But you really just don't see our guys do stuff like that, even in big spots.

Meanwhile, as they showed Davis, he gave a nice subtle point of the finger out to Garcia, acknowledging the great play.

I know others will probably disagree, but I just really love the way this team carries themselves. There's very little "look-at-me" stuff that goes on with our guys, and there's always a lot of respect shown to the opponent. I think Buck deserves a lot of the credit for that, but honestly I think we've got a good bunch of guys to root for.

I agree with you. The Orioles do very little on field celebrating when the game is in progress. Garcia made a great play, but I thought his reaction was a bit over the top. The game was not over. It would have been great if the next hitter hit a home run into the right field stands to tie the game up. I think that the way they carry themselves is a direct link to their manager. Like you state, they respect the game and their opponents. Besides, there is something to not giving your opponents a reason to play harder. IMO, making a display after a great catch or making a bunch of hand gestures after you hit a two run single will have a good chance of causing this type of effect.

I personally could not agree more. I love that this team, for most of their history, have avoided the showboating and grandstanding which makes me cringe when I watch some other players. Keep the celebrations in the dugout or save it for walk-offs or fantastic game-changing plays (Garcia robbing Davis was one such play).

I saw a White Sox player get a hit in this series and once he reached base, he reacted towards his dugout like they just took the lead in Game 7 of the ALCS. Guys, just a reminder, you're in last place in your division. Fired up is one thing. But those in-game celebrations and showing up the other team gets under my skin. It's why my stomach turns every time I see a Blue Jay doing that drink-stirring motion (in the 3rd inning, no less). And why I never, ever wanted Fernando Rodney on the team. (Does Rodney's wife wear a shirt with an arrow pointing to him that says "I'm With Cupid"?)

I know this is sports in the 2K+ era, and that I'm old-fashioned. I'm just glad the Orioles keep it civil and respectful.

Yeah, I agree. Very mentally mature team.

That said if I was Garcia I'd do the same and I had no problem with his celebration. Hardly much of a celebration anyway. He had the same reaction I did: "Holy crap I cannot believe that ball was caught."

That was probably the best catch he ever has made or ever will make, especially considering the game situation. I don't blame the guy one bit.

That was probably the best catch he ever has made or ever will make, especially considering the game situation. I don't blame the guy one bit.

Agreed, and I actually think that the White Sox are also a group of mature individuals. A lot of vets on their team and a manager in Ventura who never tried to seem bigger than the game.

Certainly nothing like their inter-division rival Royals...

I admired Davis' reaction today to being robbed of a HR for the second time. I can think of a few players who might have glared angrily, or jumped up and down like a 5-year-old being told it's bedtime, or slammed a helmet, or more. That big guy on the Red Sox might have broken some stuff in the dugout. (To be fair, he's in there longer since he's not allowed on the field when the opponents are batting.)

You never see Machado act like that. Manny makes a great play pretty much every game. He never makes a big celebration about it. He'll smile a little, and he'll laugh it off. Same with all the other players. Like with Snider's catch the other night, he was just shocked he caught it LOL.

Yeah, I agree. Very mentally mature team.

That said if I was Garcia I'd do the same and I had no problem with his celebration. Hardly much of a celebration anyway. He had the same reaction I did: "Holy crap I cannot believe that ball was caught."

Oh, I agree. As I mentioned I really wasn't trying to criticize Garcia. It was a great play and he should have been excited to have made it.

Archived