We Seem to Need a Shot in the Arm

Bahama O's Fan

This seems weird to me' date=' but it seems millionaire (most of them) players need motivation, other than their salary[/b']. It seems like when we give this team a shot in the arm, they respond. Wieters coming back, Reimold and Parmelee being brought up, now Schoop coming up. What will we do next?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by this comment. I don't think the Orioles need any extra motivation. They are playing against the best baseball players in the world. Having injured players return from their injuries, and replacing players who were not playing well with other players, helps them to win. I don't think it has anything to do with motivation.

I hope they are finished messing with Gausman. To me Gonzo is the one who gets optioned because he is the one that needs rest during the season. They can shorten up his innings at AAA, then recall his to make a start on the 25th.

So many things could change by the 25th that its hard to guess who will go to make room for Gonzo's return.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by this comment. I don't think the Orioles need any extra motivation. They are playing against the best baseball players in the world. Having injured players return from their injuries, and replacing players who were not playing well with other players, helps them to win. I don't think it has anything to do with motivation.

I get Bahama is saying. The club does seem to get a boost when players are promoted. But somehow they keep falling back into losing streaks. Losing 5 of 7 to Texas and the White Sox doesn't seem like the thing the O's should be doing when they are almost at full strength. Maybe the addition of Schoop and putting Gausman in the rotation finally gets this team on an extended winning streak vs winning clubs.

I get Bahama is saying. The club does seem to get a boost when players are promoted. But somehow they keep falling back into losing streaks. Losing 5 of 7 to Texas and the White Sox doesn't seem like the thing the O's should be doing when they are almost at full strength. Maybe the addition of Schoop and putting Gausman in the rotation finally gets this team on an extended winning streak vs winning clubs.

I just don't think it has anything to do with motivation.

It does something to them. They were doing bad, then Wieters came back and we start doing well. Then we start slumping and we bring up Reimold and Parmelee and boom a winning streak. Now we had a losing streak and then up comes Schoop and boom! We win! I think there is something mental there.

This seems weird to me' date=' but it seems millionaire (most of them) players need motivation, other than their salary.[/quote']

Do human beings sometimes need motivation beyond the circumstances in which they've become accustomed? Sure. Is motivation and effort (or lack thereof) often confused with the normal ebbs and flows of a long sports season? Again, yes.

It does something to them. They were doing bad' date=' then Wieters came back and we start doing well. Then we start slumping and we bring up Reimold and Parmelee and boom a winning streak. Now we had a losing streak and then up comes Schoop and boom! We win! I think there is something mental there.[/quote']

Or its mostly a combination of coincidence and getting more healthy and productive players on the field.

I hope they are finished messing with Gausman. To me Gonzo is the one who gets optioned because he is the one that needs rest during the season. They can shorten up his innings at AAA, then recall his to make a start on the 25th.

So many things could change by the 25th that its hard to guess who will go to make room for Gonzo's return.

Gonzo could use the rest. Gausman needs to put in innings for next season.

I just don't think it has anything to do with motivation.

Maybe we could say competition promotes motivation. The guys coming up want to start off well in order to stay. The guys that are already on the team don't want to be the next player let go.

Maybe we could say competition promotes motivation. The guys coming up want to start off well in order to stay. The guys that are already on the team don't want to be the next player let go.

I think just the desire to keep your job in the majors promotes a lot of motivation, and that's among the people who were already self-motivated enough to become major leaguers in the first place. It's my opinion that there aren't too many MLB players who leave a lot of effort in reserve. Almost everyone is doing most everything they know to do to maximize their production, almost all of the time. The guys who don't, don't get to stay professional ballplayers for very long.

Archived