Update on Chance Sisco

Aglets

Heard his name on the radio today, and just read Tony's scouting report from the end of last year.

Seems like the organization is pretty darn high on this kid. Any updates on how he's doing in Frederick?

I can see his hitting is .293/.373/.383 which is at least respectable if not amazing. Especially since he's just 20 years old.

Any updates on his defense?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball Prospectus' scout likes him as a hitter but is pretty harsh on his defense, criticizing his footwork and his handling of pitchers. He recommends a position switch.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=26819

The same article discusses Josh Hart, who is tabbed as a defense-and-speed fourth outfielder in the majors.

More confirmation that he is not a catcher. Hope the O's are not stubborn on this one.

I'd assume the team has a much better read on whether Sisco is a C than a scout who's seen him a few times since he was drafted. If they don't move him soon, I'd hardly view it as confirmation that the team is being stubborn.

The whole thing reads pretty harsh and there isn't a mention of his age compared to the league he's in.

Baseball Prospectus' scout likes him as a hitter but is pretty harsh on his defense, criticizing his footwork and his handling of pitchers. He recommends a position switch.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=26819

The same article discusses Josh Hart, who is tabbed as a defense-and-speed fourth outfielder in the majors.

"Pretty harsh" on Sisco's defense? I'd say brutal.

Makeup: Looks lazy at times but plays the game loose and easy. Does not work well with the Frederick pitching staff.

Glove: Footwork is a mess; athleticism does not correlate behind the dish; struggles to block pitches; stabs at pitches; looks to constantly be out of sync with his pitchers; no progression in two years of watching.

Arm: Average arm strength; plays down a grade in-game; choppy footwork and long release; pop times 2.10 - 2.20.

Overall: Sisco can't catch. After multiple viewings in consecutive seasons, I see no progression and little evidence that he will be able to handle a long-term role behind the plate in the majors.

That's clear enough for me. Have him do something else in Fall instructs and let others do the catching. I doubt the Orioles will have a different view.

Since the comments were posted regarding his defense, Sisco has gone 6-11 with a HR and two walks in his last three games. Clearly the kid can hit.

Question is, will he develop any power? The high hopes for him were tied to being a offensive-minded catcher. He has just 8 home runs in nearly 700 ABs over the last two seasons. Is there any expectation he's going to learn to drive the ball over the fence enough to play a corner infield/outfield position were he to be transitioned out from behind the plate?

Since the comments were posted regarding his defense, Sisco has gone 6-11 with a HR and two walks in his last three games. Clearly the kid can hit.

Question is, will he develop any power? The high hopes for him were tied to being a offensive-minded catcher. He has just 8 home runs in nearly 700 ABs over the last two seasons. Is there any expectation he's going to learn to drive the ball over the fence enough to play a corner infield/outfield position were he to be transitioned out from behind the plate?

He did have 27 2B and 5 HR last year as a 19 year old in Delmarva. I have no idea what league average would be for that age, but I would have to think those are decent enough power numbers. I mean I don't really think that projects out to a consistent 25+ homer guy, but I would think 15-20 per season could be a decent projection if he continues to develop.

I'm not going to give up on him at catcher until the Orioles do. Caleb Joseph couldn't catch. Steve Clevenger couldn't catch. Jonathan Schoop couldn't play second. Ryan Flaherty had pop in his bat but no adequate defensive position. I'll even give them some credit for working with Machado at 3B before he came up. They've proven to me that they can develop players on the defensive end. Doesn't mean it's going to work for Sisco, just means that I'll give the O's the benefit of the doubt on this one.

He did have 27 2B and 5 HR last year as a 19 year old in Delmarva. I have no idea what league average would be for that age, but I would have to think those are decent enough power numbers. I mean I don't really think that projects out to a consistent 25+ homer guy, but I would think 15-20 per season could be a decent projection if he continues to develop.

I'm not going to give up on him at catcher until the Orioles do. Caleb Joseph couldn't catch. Steve Clevenger couldn't catch. Jonathan Schoop couldn't play second. Ryan Flaherty had pop in his bat but no adequate defensive position. I'll even give them some credit for working with Machado at 3B before he came up. They've proven to me that they can develop players on the defensive end. Doesn't mean it's going to work for Sisco, just means that I'll give the O's the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I think Sisco is a much different case than any of the defenders you mentioned. Caleb Joseph threw out 33% of runners as a minor leaguer and was never worse than 26%. Clevenger threw out 27% as a minor leaguer. Sisco is throwing out 19% so far in his career.

I agree, I won't give up on him as a catcher until the Orioles do, but I am not optimistic.

I think Sisco is a much different case than any of the defenders you mentioned. Caleb Joseph threw out 33% of runners as a minor leaguer and was never worse than 26%. Clevenger threw out 27% as a minor leaguer. Sisco is throwing out 19% so far in his career.

I agree, I won't give up on him as a catcher until the Orioles do, but I am not optimistic.

Buck and the organization, supposedly weren't happy with Joseph and Clevenger's defense. That's different than multiple independent sources saying Sisco won't be able to stay at the position. Just imagine how far away he is from Buck's standards.

Sure, I don't disagree with any of this. I agree that it doesn't look good for him sticking at catcher. I'm just saying that as a fan, I'm not going to concern myself with it. If the organization thinks he can figure it out, so be it. If not, they'll move him when they see fit.

If he doesn't develop any power, I'd have to imagine his best place is second base where a strong AVG/OBP plays best. He could run corner outfield if he has speed. Just don't want to hear he doesn't have the foot speed to play anywhere by first where power is critical.

I'm not expecting him to be able to stay behind the plate. Throwing out runners is the least of it. It's framing pitches, footwork, working with pitchers that are the little things that make a big difference. If he has trouble picking those up, having a great arm won't matter much.

From what I've seen, I don't doubt that Sisco's bat can play at 2B. 3B would be a little tougher, and I can't envision a scenario where he hits enough to be a first-division corner outfielder. That's just my take, of course.

If he doesn't develop any power, I'd have to imagine his best place is second base where a strong AVG/OBP plays best. He could run corner outfield if he has speed. Just don't want to hear he doesn't have the foot speed to play anywhere by first where power is critical.

I am not very worried about his power, considering how young he has been for the leagues he has played in. He's got plenty of time to develop some power.

Archived