Closing in on Perez

bigbird

He has played 1b, 3b, dh, rf, lf. He has about 100 games in the outfield so at least he is not a stranger to it. I don't know how effective he's been out there.

Ninety three of his 145 career games in the outfield came in 2002-2003, with only 12 games there in the last three seasons. Get out the rustoleum in industrial strength if they want to put him back out there.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todd Williams for Ben Johnson? He provides versatility in the OF. He can play all three OF spots I believe. Would he be a fit?

They have Green, Alou, Beltran, Chavez ... they could certainly give him up.

Just checking stats, we may need to add more to the deal ... Johnson had a huge AAA year at age 24 while playing in the San Diego system (952 OPS).

UPON FURTHER REVIEW THIS WAS 33rd ST's idea!

Todd Williams for Ben Johnson? He provides versatility in the OF. He can play all three OF spots I believe. Would he be a fit?

Just checking stats, we may need to add more to the deal ... Johnson had a huge AAA year at age 24 while playing in the San Diego system (952 OPS).

Don't forget about that guy Milledge... Wait a second, nevermind. I forgot we needed the veteran presence.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/J/Ben-Johnson.shtml

Looks like he can take a walk and has some power..Looks like he could be a solid bench guy if he can play defense. Probably has average or slightly above average speed.

Williams for Johnson would be a good move for us IMO.

But since we didn't give Knott a chance, why would we think we would give this guy a chance? Because he can play all 3 OF positions?

You guys disappoint me.... there is so much baseball intellect here and yet all of you clearly missed the primary positive attribute or a guy like Perez..... he is a Latin player allowing us too add yet another spanish speaking player to our family... hey Knott.... se hablas espanol?

That's what I was thinking- we would have to add more. Birkins too?

I don't think we would have to add more. He hasn't accomplished much and he will be 26 in August. I am not sure if he has much value.

He is a guy alot of organizations have. They have a need and desire to acquire Williams...The deal does make sense but i think the Orioles would prefer a guy like Sanders more. They just won't go with the unknown right now.

The advantage a guy like Perez or Sanders would have over a guy like Knott is being proven at this level.

Now, before somebody knee-jerks a comment about, "Well, they're proven to be BAD," they both are bench players that can play a couple positions (Sanders likely more then Perez) and hit lefties very well. That is what we all want, just they are looking at those guys while the majority (at least of the vocal fans) would like to see Knott or Dubois there.

Also, I wonder if the reason they see a guy like Knott as AAA material isn't as much because of "veteran presence", but because they want him getting steady at-bats in preparation for an injury, not rotting on the bench.

(Hopefully they don't see that as an excuse to use for another reason :P)

Archived