Closing in on Perez

bigbird

Forget Eduardo Perez, forget Reggie Sanders, and go get Emil Brown. Brown is 32-years old, but still is five years younger than Perez and seven years younger than Sanders. He also has a .848 OPS vs. left-handed pitching the last two seasons, which is better than both Perez and Sanders. Burres needs to be on a flight to Kansas City as soon as possible...
The good thing about this is it indicates that the O's moight recognize the need for a RH bat and are not happy with Bynum as a solution to their need for a speedy defensive OF. Perez would be used as a platoon at DH and 1B. So they may realize that Gibbons and Millar are not effective against LHP. In addition it indicates that a 13 man pitching staff is not necessarily a priority to these other needs. The bad thing is it might mean they might not be as stupid as some people want them to be.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perez, like Sanders is a good hitter against lefties, and can fill an important role on the team. However, I tend to doubt Sam would use them in the proper role, and we already have a younger, cheaper player in Knott who can likely fill the role just as well if not better.

Also, I wonder if the reason they see a guy like Knott as AAA material isn't as much because of "veteran presence", but because they want him getting steady at-bats in preparation for an injury, not rotting on the bench.

That's the only explanation that makes some sense to me.

I don't see how this makes sense. Does Perez even PLAY the OF?

:rolleyes:

As a "stallion", you must have heard of horse sense - right? ;) btw - how many women believe your b/s? ;):rolleyes::)

American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms - Cite This Source

horse sense

Sound practical sense, as in She's got too much horse sense to believe his story. The exact allusion in this term, which dates from the mid-1800s, is disputed, since some regard horses as rather stupid. However, they tended to be viewed more positively in the American West, where the term originated

So the guy can hit lefties well. Can't Knott do the same? Why are we bothering with this guy? Seems like we just grab who we can grab so the FO can say "HEY at least we're doing something!"

I see this organization as an impatient child with a jigsaw puzzle, grabbing pieces at random and trying to force them together without actually looking at them and seeing if they'll fit.

I don't see how this makes sense. Does Perez even PLAY the OF?

:rolleyes:

Sure he does, in the same way that Fernando Tatis, Fahey, Ed Rogers, and Jerry Hairston do.

He began life as a third baseman, then moved to first. In St. Louis Tony Larussa moved him to the outfield most of the time as part of his experiments that would later influence Sam Perlozzo - he wanted to keep 13 or more pitchers on the roster, but to do that he'd need a very short bench made up of players willing to play everywhere. He converted Perez into a 1B/3B/LF/RFer and Eli Marrero into a C/1B/3B/LF/CF/RFer, and that about covered everything.

Since leaving St. Louis he's played only a few more MLB games in the outfield than Jon Knott, and Knott has appeared in 12 MLB games, total.

We need to focus on the big picture. The issue is not whether Perez is a better option than Knott, Dubois, House or Sanders. The issue is not whether Perez can play the OF or not.

The issue is whether we will have SOMEONE on our bench who hits LHP well. If the answer to that is "yes, we have Eduardo Perez," I am fine with it. It's a better answer than "no, we thought it was better to have a 13th pitcher and defensive replacements."

By the way, Perez has had a nice spring in limited action: .500 BA with 3 HR and 9 RBI in 22 AB.

Sure he does, in the same way that Fernando Tatis, Fahey, Ed Rogers, and Jerry Hairston do.

He began life as a third baseman, then moved to first. In St. Louis Tony Larussa moved him to the outfield most of the time as part of his experiments that would later influence Sam Perlozzo - he wanted to keep 13 or more pitchers on the roster, but to do that he'd need a very short bench made up of players willing to play everywhere. He converted Perez into a 1B/3B/LF/RFer and Eli Marrero into a C/1B/3B/LF/CF/RFer, and that about covered everything.

Since leaving St. Louis he's played only a few more MLB games in the outfield than Jon Knott, and Knott has appeared in 12 MLB games, total.

OK, my mistake, I guess he does play OF. He's still redundant when we already have Knott, et al., but whatever. I'm done trying to make sense of this FO.

In unrelated news, BobMC, you're freaking me out a little bit. I gotta be honest with you. ;)

We need to focus on the big picture. The issue is not whether Perez is a better option than Knott, Dubois, House or Sanders. The issue is not whether Perez can play the OF or not.

The issue is whether we will have SOMEONE on our bench who hits LHP well. If the answer to that is "yes, we have Eduardo Perez," I am fine with it. It's a better answer than "no, we thought it was better to have a 13th pitcher and defensive replacements."

By the way, Perez has had a nice spring in limited action: .500 BA with 3 HR and 9 RBI in 22 AB.

Agree.

They've already decided against Knott, right or wrong.

It would be Perez instead of Stern or Bynum, which I'm perfectly fine with.

Archived