Closing in on Perez

bigbird

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, we need another CFer...I know you can say Markakis is the answer there but it is doubtful Sammy wants to move him at all.

He did play CF yesterday, and how does Bynum fit the build of a CF? I thought he was a middle infielder. If they want a CF backup then it would be Stern.

No, we need another CFer...I know you can say Markakis is the answer there but it is doubtful Sammy wants to move him at all.

With Payton down, I think he has to consider putting Markakis in center against tough lefties with Gibbons in left and Dubois in right or vice versa. I'm hoping Perlozzo will at least think this way while PAyton is down, but I don't have a lot of confidence.

He did play CF yesterday, and how does Bynum fit the build of a CF? I thought he was a middle infielder. If they want a CF backup then it would be Stern.

Bynum is so versatile that he can actually play first, second, third, left field, center field, color man, and also sling beers in the upper deck, but his SBP (spilled beer percentage) may exceed his OPS.

My personal opinion is that we should move Markakis to left, and let Gibbons platoon with Dubois in RF. It would really be nice to have that second right-handed OF. Then you could (dare I say it!) platoon RF and CF. Patterson could play CF against all pitching until Payton comes back.

With Payton down, I think he has to consider putting Markakis in center against tough lefties with Gibbons in left and Dubois in right or vice versa. I'm hoping Perlozzo will at least think this way while PAyton is down, but I don't have a lot of confidence.

Its a shame Sammy just doesn't put Nick in LF. Alot of the issues on this team would be eliminated if he just did that.

It just isn't going to happen. Nick may shift there late in a game or something but he won't start a game there i doubt.

My personal opinion is that we should move Markakis to left, and let Gibbons platoon with Dubois in RF. It would really be nice to have that second right-handed OF. Then you could (dare I say it!) platoon RF and CF. Patterson could play CF against all pitching until Payton comes back.
Front Office, LISTEN TO THIS MAN!

Front Office, LISTEN TO THIS MAN!

Perlozzo also.

All the FO can do is get the players and help with some of the decision making as far as the roster goes. After that its up to the man calling the shots, and hopefully on the field it's Perlozzo and not Angelos.

Perez had an OPS last season of .834 against lefties, that does not, IMHO, fit the definition of "mashing" or "killing them," unless you consider, for example Chris Gomez in that category who had the same success against them last year. The difference being Gomez is actually two years younger than Perez. Perez has primarily been a first basemen, which we have. I don't see the fit.

Let's take a closer look:

He was great in Cleveland last year in that role, and fell apart in Seattle after the July trade (1st half OVERALL OPS .994)

.897 OPS vs LHP in 2005

Didn't play much in 2004- hurt? 38ab's

1.126 OPS vs LHP in 2003

.997 vs LHP in 2002

I think you CAN say he mashes lefties...He's an older, possibly better, Phelps with a lower K rate.

Perez the last 3 seasons against lefties:

2003: 102 abs....459/667/1126

2005: 135 abs....371/526/897

2006: 113 abs....331/503/834

Note: He missed most of 2004, only had 20 abs versus lefties...sub 700 OPS but way too small of a sample size, especially considering he was hurt i think.

Do you notice a trend there? He is trending downwards against lefties in a big way. He is 37 and can't really play the field.

There is absolutely no justification for keeping him over Dubois or Knott. This isn't even a Bynum vs Perez thing because Bynum will make the team anyway, unless they go with 13 pitchers at first.

I was ok with Perez at first but after seeing this, i am totally against him unless he keeps them from carrying 13 pitchers and Bynum doesn't make the team and even then, i think they will have made the wrong decision but it would become easier to swallow.

Archived