Closing in on Perez

bigbird

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My personal opinion is that we should move Markakis to left, and let Gibbons platoon with Dubois in RF. It would really be nice to have that second right-handed OF. Then you could (dare I say it!) platoon RF and CF. Patterson could play CF against all pitching until Payton comes back.

Sammy tried that last year and Nick didn't look very confident in left. The difference between Nick and LF and Nick in RF seemed night and day last year. I don't think he makes such move unless in emergency.

ALSO.... WHY DO WE WANT GIBBONS TO PLAY THE OF?!!?!?!?!?!?!???!!? :eek::eek:

Gibbons could be a BEAST at the plate if he remains healthy. I want Sammy to give him every chance at having a terrific season by keeping him OUT of the field.

We need an outfielder. Dubois could still stay.

I'd be happy with a bench of Dubois, Perez, Bako and Gomez.

That gives them NO bench speed for pinch running. Would make it hard to generate a run late in a game.

That gives them NO bench speed for pinch running. Would make it hard to generate a run late in a game.

Well, except for Dubois or Perez depositing a ball in the stands. There's nothing in the rules that says you have to run fast during your home run trot. By far the most effective way to manufacture a run is to hit the ball a long, long way.

I'm a lot more concerned with having players who can actually hit on the bench than I am with Olympic sprinters.

Well, except for Dubois or Perez depositing a ball in the stands. There's nothing in the rules that says you have to run fast during your home run trot. By far the most effective way to manufacture a run is to hit the ball a long, long way.

I'm a lot more concerned with having players who can actually hit on the bench than I am with Olympic sprinters.

You must not understand that run-one strategies guarantee runs, every single time.

Perez would be a better alternative than Bynum, but that's about it. He's a replica of the Huff/Gibbons/Millar issue in that his best position is DH.

Its a shame that we continue to put band-aids on shotgun wounds.

Yes, all this would be moot if we had just one guy at 1B or LF who could hit well both ways.

The O's could easily play Perez full time against lefties.

Let's assume that Payton plays CF against lefties. Then the O's would have five bodies to fit into four corner slots (1B, DH, LF, RF). Perez would be the DH. Millar would play 1B or LF. Markakis, Huff and Gibbons could rotate in the other two slots. Gomez could get an occasional start at 1B or DH when he's not giving Brian Roberts a day off at 2B. Everyone would get regular rest and stay fresh. The only downside is that the outfield defense would be suspect on days that both Markakis and Patterson sat down, so I would only do this when Cabrera or another groundball/strikeout pitcher was on the mound.

Nevertheless, something tells me that if the O's get Perez, they'll wind up trading Millar, just so that they don't have to listen to him whine about playing time all year. Perez is arguably a better fit for the O's bench now than Millar, because he has a better platoon split and is more comfortable coming off the bench.

The O's could easily play Perez full time against lefties.

Let's assume that Payton plays CF against lefties. Then the O's would have five bodies to fit into four corner slots (1B, DH, LF, RF). Perez would be the DH. Millar would play 1B or LF. Markakis, Huff and Gibbons could rotate in the other two slots. Gomez could get an occasional start at 1B or DH when he's not giving Brian Roberts a day off at 2B. Everyone would get regular rest and stay fresh. The only downside is that the outfield defense would be suspect on days that both Markakis and Patterson sat down, so I would only do this when Cabrera or another groundball/strikeout pitcher was on the mound.

Nevertheless, something tells me that if the O's get Perez, they'll wind up trading Millar, just so that they don't have to listen to him whine about playing time all year. Perez is arguably a better fit for the O's bench now than Millar, because he has a better platoon split and is more comfortable coming off the bench.

I'd take Markakis out of the mix....he hits LH pitching almost as good as RH. He might get an occasional day off....but very few of them.

Perez has primarily been a first basemen, which we have. I don't see the fit.

Perez has played over 100 games in right, mostly with the Cardinals in 2002 and 2003 (when Tino Martinez was playing 1st and Pujols was in left). My recollection is that he was adequate. After he put up an .843 OPS (122 OPS+) in 2003, he wanted too much money for the Cardinals and the D-Rays signed him as a free agent. In the AL, with the Rays, Indians, and Mariners, he's been primarily restricted to 1st and DH.

He played 27 games in left for the Cardinals. I seem to recall that he was an "adequate" outfielder there as well, nothing outstanding. He has also played over 100 games at 3rd, primarily early in his career, which implies that he had a strong and relatively accurate arm. (No guarantees that he can still throw, of course.)

... way too small of a sample size,...

In 2005 and 2006, that's especially true. He had 122 PA's against southpaws in 2003 and posted that 1.126 OPS, while he was only able to manage a .646 OPS in 167 PAs against righties that season. I think that the sample sizes are inadequate all the way around.

... He is 37 and can't really play the field.

Unless you know something I don't -- and you've probably watched the D-Rays a lot more than I have -- I don't believe that you can make that assumption. The D-Rays have lots of speedy young outfielders -- why wouldn't they use an older, slower outfielder who can "mash" at 1st or DH. Same in his limited time in Cleveland and Seattle.

Perez has 19 stolen bases in 32 attempts over a 13 season career. He probably doesn't steal any bases unless the opposing team is conceding it or the pitcher forgets about him. His caught stealing are probably mostly busted hit and run plays.

He's not going to cover a lot of ground in the outfield, so you may need to shift Patterson and the other corner outfielder a tad to compensate. Played sparingly, he probably won't embarrass himself. I don't recall any flood of criticism of his play in right while he was with St. Louis.

Archived