BoSox not going to Japan?

Pedro Cerrano

Look on the bright side, maybe we can be 2 games ahead of Boston in the loss column before we even take the field!:D

Apparently the Red Sox will boycott their opening two games in Japan because the coaching staff is not being paid their $40,000 appearance fee that the rest of the players are enjoying.

The fuss is on ESPN now because the scheduled spring training broadcast has been shut down due to the boycott.

I think this is mildly awesome. MLB had better cave in on this, not paying the coaches for going is an embarrassment. And kudos to some normally greedy players for taking this stand for someone else.

ESPN now saying Oakland took a vote and unanimously decided they won't go either unless this is resolved.

This is hilarious. I'm laughing hysterically right now. What a disaster for MLB. First they say they'll pay the coaches. Then they say they're not "uniformed personnel" (despite that they make them wear uniforms) and won't be paid, despite the fact that coaches were paid the last 3-4 years trips like this have been done. Then they said families are welcome. Then they say they're not. Hahahaha.

And no, the team should not have to pay their coaches the bonuses. They already pay the salaries. This is MLB's baby. They need to pay the coaches, not the teams.

A lot of BoSox fans are ticked because they flew down and only have tickets for this game and now won't get to see the Sox play on their trip...

A caller on XM said a riot is about to break out at the City of Palms Park in Ft. Myers....

A lot of BoSox fans are ticked because they flew down and only have tickets for this game and now won't get to see the Sox play on their trip...

A caller on XM said a riot is about to break out at the City of Palms Park in Ft. Myers....

Good, screw BoSox fans.

Anyway, I side with the teams on this like everyone else. The coaches are obviously an integral part of the game and to not pay them (especially when it was promised beforehand) is a terrible thing to do.

I mean it's $40,000 per coach -- at most that's like $1MM total for all the coaches. That's like 1/1000000th of MLB's net worth.

Did you guys see Fever Pitch when the Red Sox Nation was down there for Spring Training? I am picturing that now as you talk about a possible riot! Another embarassment for MLB!

Archived