This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree.

You can get someone like him for 2 mil or less on the FA market.

So you are splitting hairs here about 1.5 million or less? Seriously?

Have you see how many higher priced relief pitchers have been DFA in the last week, with way larger contracts?

I don't think he overspent that much on Brian, it was an arb negotiation.

My only real complaints about the offseason were tendering contracts to Matusz, and to a lesser extent De Aza. There is a reasonable debate about Hunter, too, although I didn't complain about that. Those are three guys who they spent roughly $10M on they didn't have to.

So you are splitting hairs here about 1.5 million or less? Seriously?

Have you see how many higher priced relief pitchers have been DFA in the last week, with way larger contracts?

Well sure. When you spent $3M on a guy who has pitched basically to expectations but could have been replaced by a $2M free agent or a $500k six year minor leaguer that's inefficiency. The O's have a limited budget. Every million you waste could have been spent better on more wins. Not certain wins, of course, but probable wins.

My only real complaints about the offseason were tendering contracts to Matusz, and to a lesser extent De Aza. There is a reasonable debate about Hunter, too, although I didn't complain about that. Those are three guys who they spent roughly $10M on they didn't have to.

...which I might add, that $10M may have very well gone to nobody.

Could be that this team is finally performing closer to expected (aka - another predicted last place finish) rather than overachieving. This off season is going contain some critical decisions.

I am not going to dump on DD.

In case you forgot, it was DD that help supply Buck with the talent to end the 14 years of bad baseball.

3 seasons over .500 with 2 playoff visits is a blessed improvement over what they were doing.

I am not ripping his overall tenure. He has been very good for this franchise. Like I said I am looking at the present. He wasted money on Matusz. The fact is we would be better off with Markakis still here playing everyday and getting on base. Manny would be better served in more of a run producing spot in the lineup. Markakis aside he didn't fill those holes we'll enough. We can't keep running a bunch of role players in the corner OF spots and expect things to get better. He hasn't been shy in the past this time of the year and he better not be this year either. I don't feel like watching Parmelee play everyday and hoping for the best.

I disagree.

You can get someone like him for 2 mil or less on the FA market.

I'm not being paid for my decision making, but I'd have a hard time spending $1M on a guy you'd reasonably expect to top out at less than a win in value. If you're a 4th option out of the pen you're gone when your arb numbers get much over a million.

What a brunch of HORSE MANURE that is.

The Payroll is higher than ever.

You can't blame him for not over paying for Markakis, Cruz and Miller.

Baltimore's payroll was 17th highest in baseball to start the season, sandwiched between Kansas City and Minnesota.

Baltimore's revenue is comparable to Seattle (whose payroll is $10 million higher) and Detroit (whose payroll is $63 million higher). I'm sure DD would love an extra $10-63 million to work with but it's the owner who decides how many checks he wants to write and how much cash he wants to put in the vault.

Yeah, the payroll is higher than ever. But guess what? Money is worth less than ever.

It is the cheapness of the owner coupled with terrible draft picks by the front office that has forced DD to try and put a roster together with spit and duct tape.

I am not ripping his overall tenure. He has been very good for this franchise. Like I said I am looking at the present. He wasted money on Matusz. The fact is we would be better off with Markakis still here playing everyday and getting on base. Manny would be better served in more of a run producing spot in the lineup. Markakis aside he didn't fill those holes we'll enough. We can't keep running a bunch of role players in the corner OF spots and expect things to get better. He hasn't been shy in the past this time of the year and he better not be this year either. I don't feel like watching Parmelee play everyday and hoping for the best.

I am really hoping they make a run at Denard Span, or Nori Aoki (if his option is declined)

The team would be maybe a win better with Markakis now, probably worse off in the future. Of course you can keep running role players out there and win. Teams have been doing that for 140 years. The Orioles of the late 70s and early 80s won 90 games almost every year while giving 200, 300, 400 ABs to Benny Ayala, Jim Dwyer, John Lowenstein, Joe Nolan, Kiko Garcia, Pat Kelly, etc. The '12 and '14 Orioles made the playoffs with half a roster of random role players.

Archived