Manny is in the Home Run Derby

AlbionHero

What makes you think I am not aware of the rules?

Really good power hitters sometime have really low totals in an individual round.

Like I said Manny is at a disadvantage.

But pure power doesn't come close to always winning the day in one of these exhibitions.

Cal Jr, beat Cecil Fielder back in the 91 home run derby, and nobody would have predicted that, ever.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cal Jr, beat Cecil Fielder back in the 91 home run derby, and nobody would have predicted that, ever.

No one? You're saying that everyone assume(d)(s) that true talent in power is nearly 100% accurate in predicting the outcome of the home run derby? Not that I've ever done any research on the home run derby, but I'd guess that if you put a 25-homer guy up against a 40-homer guy in what's essentially batting practice the 25 homer guy would win maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the time. Reasoning is that if you had a 25-homer guy and a 40-homer guy (established levels) on April 1st, the 25-homer guy probably has a 25% or 33% chance of having more homers that year.

I'm sure my 7 and 8 year olds will love it. For 12 minutes until they go back to playing their Nintendo DSes.

With the new format (no outs, just timed) the HR derby should be a pretty quick one. Expect less homer counts and a lot less time out of your day.

Each batter gets 5 minutes, time stops in last minute for a HR.

No one? You're saying that everyone assume(d)(s) that true talent in power is nearly 100% accurate in predicting the outcome of the home run derby? Not that I've ever done any research on the home run derby, but I'd guess that if you put a 25-homer guy up against a 40-homer guy in what's essentially batting practice the 25 homer guy would win maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the time. Reasoning is that if you had a 25-homer guy and a 40-homer guy (established levels) on April 1st, the 25-homer guy probably has a 25% or 33% chance of having more homers that year.

In the PEDs era.

Fielder hit 51 HRs in 1990.

Cal Jr hit 21 HRs in 1990.

So except for Val, most people would have put their money on Cecil for the 91 Home Run Derby.

With the new format (no outs, just timed) the HR derby should be a pretty quick one. Expect less homer counts and a lot less time out of your day.

Each batter gets 5 minutes, time stops in last minute for a HR.

I am curious to see if someone will have the pitcher lobbing them up there with great frequency.

Archived