Michael Bowden has a July 15th opt out

wildcard

This from Roch's latest blog entry:

Michael Bowden has registered a 1.96 ERA at Norfolk. He's been outstanding. But he also has a July 15 opt-out clause and it sounds like he intends to exercise it.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/07/because-you-asked---havana-nights.html

So do the O's promote him? My answer is yes. When players do well at AAA the O's don't let them opt out. Parmelee and Reimold are the latest examples.

Bowden numbers this year at AAA.

Starter 6-1, 1.66 ERA, 9 S, 48.2 IP, 32 H, .185 avg, 0.92 WHIP

Reliever 1-1, 2.55 ERA, 14 G, 24.2 IP, 26 H, .280 avg, 1.26 WHIP

Overall 7-2, 1.96 ERAm 23 G, 73.1 IP, 58 H, .218 avg, 1.04 WHIP

He obviously does best as a starter but can relief (if you note the .280 avg as a reliever).

How do the O's make room? Pretty tough question but here are a few ideas:

1) Dan and Buck have said that Gausman needs to start but they have not said where. He could stay in the Norfolk rotation until there is an injury or trade and work on his command and breaking pitches. I know that does make space on the O's roster but it is part of this discussion.

2) The O's have to add a starter by July 25th when a 5th starter is required. Whatever move the O's are going to make to make room can be made by the 15th and Bowden can pitch as a reliever until he is needed to start.

Most likely DFA candidates to make room are Reimold, Snider, Parmelee, Lough and Roe. Roe has allowed 6 earned runs over 5 IP in his last 4 appearances. That is a 10.80 ERA in that period. The league may be catching up to him. I am sure they would like to give Roe more time but if there is a choice between Bowden and Roe it would be close. Roe can be DFA'd and maybe traded considering how he is currently pitching to a 2.88 ERA overall.

Other ways to go include optioning Flaherty or Schoop and using Pearce or Manny as backup 2B/SS.

3) The DL awaits whoever the O's find hurt.

4) They could trade Bowden over the All-Star break.

Dan and Buck like to keep their inventory when possible and Bowden has pitched well enough to become part of their inventory.

Who cares about Michael Bowden? Giving opt outs to AAAA players like him and Reimold and Parmalee is why the Orioles are in their current predicament. Bowden is a 28 year old pitcher with a career 4.43 FIP. He wouldn't be an upgrade over anybody on the current roster except for Bud Norris and it's not worth it to throw $9 million down the drain to DFA Norris just to put a player like Bowden on the active roster.

Bowden is 28, and has been bouncing around AAA and cups of coffee in the majors since 2008. He has a 1.96 ERA at Norfolk, but is only striking out six men per nine and has been aided by a LOB% of 81%. His strikeout rate in AAA has fallen from 10 per nine to 6 since 2011, which is certainly alarming, although may be mostly because of his work as a starter. He hadn't started a game prior to this year since 2010, and has already pitched more innings than in any season since '10. Do you (or does anyone) know why he apparently didn't pitch in 2014? I guess promoting him comes down to scouting - generally you don't promote 28-year-old AAA journeymen with 6 strikeouts per nine, even if they're otherwise pitching well. But I guess we'll see.

Who cares about Michael Bowden?

It's interesting that the O's have a guy who missed 2014 and now has a 1.96 ERA in AAA. His other numbers seem to indicate that's not in any way sustainable, but Oriole fans typically care about Oriole farmhands who're doing well.

Giving opt outs to AAAA players like him and Reimold and Parmalee is why the Orioles are in their current predicament.

I'm interested in why you think this. What about Reimold's or Parmelee's promotions caused the O's to briefly slump in July? Or are you talking about a wider-reaching problem? Do you think the O's systematically dump better players to promote lesser players with opt-out clauses?

Bowden is 28, and has been bouncing around AAA and cups of coffee in the majors since 2008. He has a 1.96 ERA at Norfolk, but is only striking out six men per nine and has been aided by a LOB% of 81%. His strikeout rate in AAA has fallen from 10 per nine to 6 since 2011, which is certainly alarming, although may be mostly because of his work as a starter. He hadn't started a game prior to this year since 2010, and has already pitched more innings than in any season since '10. Do you (or does anyone) know why he apparently didn't pitch in 2014? I guess promoting him comes down to scouting - generally you don't promote 28-year-old AAA journeymen with 6 strikeouts per nine, even if they're otherwise pitching well. But I guess we'll see.

Yeah, the only things I'm seeing there is a favorable BB rate and HR rate (which may not mean much in Norfolk). it looks like he's an extreme FB pitcher on top of that. I guess, I don't see it either.

Yeah, the only things I'm seeing there is a favorable BB rate and HR rate (which may not mean much in Norfolk). it looks like he's an extreme FB pitcher on top of that. I guess, I don't see it either.

Yep, I just noticed that he's very much a flyball pitcher. Not really convinced that a low-K, flyball pitcher with a MLB career ERA in the mid-4.00s is really the solution here.

Yep, I just noticed that he's very much a flyball pitcher. Not really convinced that a low-K, flyball pitcher with a MLB career ERA in the mid-4.00s is really the solution here.

Perhaps we need a new Chris Tillman.

I'm interested in why you think this. What about Reimold's or Parmelee's promotions caused the O's to briefly slump in July? Or are you talking about a wider-reaching problem? Do you think the O's systematically dump better players to promote lesser players with opt-out clauses?

I think it's a good point. A lot of folks are down on Parm right now and it's pretty clear the organization is only playing him because it has to. Ideally he could be stashed in AAA as a backup option. I do think he is taking ABs away from Pearce, who has finally started turning things around. Pearce has basically been reduced to Delmon-2014. We are also very LH-heavy right now, so Walker might be a better fit, even if he is not a better player. Carrying Parm also forced us to go with 6 relievers for a while and we may be forced to do so again (with Norris, no less). Who knows what kind of short term or long term consquences that might have.

Speaking of Reimold/Parmelee, why did Parmelee start yesterday vs lefty? If Reimold has any role on this team one would think it would be to start against LHP. Especially with Parmelee apparently unable to hit with any kind of solid contact against anybody other than the Phillies. Is it a last-chance audition for Parmelee, or is Reimold on his way out?

I think it's a good point. A lot of folks are down on Parm right now and it's pretty clear the organization is only playing him because it has to. Ideally he could be stashed in AAA as a backup option. I do think he is taking ABs away from Pearce, who has finally started turning things around. Pearce has basically been reduced to Delmon-2014. We are also very LH-heavy right now, so Walker might be a better fit, even if he is not a better player. Carrying Parm also forced us to go with 6 relievers for a while and we may be forced to do so again (with Norris, no less). Who knows what kind of short term or long term consquences that might have.

Speaking of Reimold/Parmelee, why did Parmelee start yesterday vs lefty? If Reimold has any role on this team one would think it would be to start against LHP. Especially with Parmelee apparently unable to hit with any kind of solid contact against anybody other than the Phillies. Is it a last-chance audition for Parmelee, or is Reimold on his way out?

Reimold has been on paternity leave this week, this has been pretty widely reported. He will be back for the game tomorrow.

Add him with D Young to get a better player and or package back.

Can't wait to see what kind of haul the O's will get for a Michael Bowden/Delmon Young package. It'll single-handedly replenish the farm system!

...Or, more likely, nobody will trade for either of those two players. Young will be released in two days, and Bowden will opt out, and they'll sign minor league deals elsewhere.

Archived