Michael Bowden has a July 15th opt out

wildcard

Can't wait to see what kind of haul the O's will get for a Michael Bowden/Delmon Young package. It'll single-handedly replenish the farm system!

...Or, more likely, nobody will trade for either of those two players. Young will be released in two days, and Bowden will opt out, and they'll sign minor league deals elsewhere.

Look what we got for DeAza...Not looking for a lot, could be Intl Slot money and a minor leaguer.

Can't wait to see what kind of haul the O's will get for a Michael Bowden/Delmon Young package. It'll single-handedly replenish the farm system!

...Or, more likely, nobody will trade for either of those two players. Young will be released in two days, and Bowden will opt out, and they'll sign minor league deals elsewhere.

Bingo. Spot on.

There is a reason that guys like Bowden, Parmelee, and Reimold were sitting there to sign minor league deals with opt outs. Fact is that these are guys who are just not that good. They are talented enough to help you for a few games here or there, they can fill a role for week or two but the reality is that none of them are everyday MLB players.

Then there's Jimmy Paredes, Steve Pearce, J.D. Martinez, and Justin Turner. You go through guys like Parmalee in the hopes of getting a J.D. Martinez.

It's one thing to have a guy or two who you hope to fill a role.

It's whole other thing when you have collection of them filling multiple roles IMO. Parmelee, Paredes, Pearce, Young, Snider, Reimold.....that is lot of guys who have very little history of consistent production. Paredes has done a good job and been productive as the DH vs RHP. The rest of that crew....not so much. and that fact has been shown by the play on the field.

I am not saying that one or two of those guys or type of guys can't be plugged in and fill a role. I am not saying they are scrubs or not decentish at times. What I am saying though is that if you have enough guys like that filling roles, at some point you become more like them (inconsistent, unreliable) then the team you hoped to be (a WS contender).

What DD does in finding guys like Paredes this year and Pearce last year is invaluable. I just happen to think that perhaps as an organization they have gotten a little full of themselves and feel like they can throw a bunch of mediocre patches against any hole that the team has and Buck will somehow magically make it work. Travis Snider, Parmelee, Young, and Reimold....IMO these are 4 guys all of whom combined cannot efficiently fill one role. I love this team and still think the talent is there to win the division if they make a move or two.

I'm a sucker for a good story. Unfortunately, Drungo is probably right as usual. The numbers look great in AAA and in Norfolk but the translation is probably not going to be all that good. I'd still like to see him get a shot though.

I would too.

Who cares about Michael Bowden? Giving opt outs to AAAA players like him and Reimold and Parmalee is why the Orioles are in their current predicament. Bowden is a 28 year old pitcher with a career 4.43 FIP. He wouldn't be an upgrade over anybody on the current roster except for Bud Norris and it's not worth it to throw $9 million down the drain to DFA Norris just to put a player like Bowden on the active roster.

But these guy's would not have even signed here if opt-outs were not included in their contracts

I think the O's need to cut bait on Bud Norris ASAP, but there are other guys I'd rather call up than Bowden.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Transaction: RHP Oliver Drake placed on disabled list, retro to July 7, with a left torso strain. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Norfolk Tides (@NorfolkTides) <a href="

">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived