Is Steve Pearce Starting to Hit?

Aristotelian

For the same reason, I hate it when any commentator or statistical overlay mentions a player's hitting or pitching results lifetime against one team. Of all the arbitrary numbers thrown around, that's got to be one of the most meaningless. You might as well talk about the hitter's lifetime batting average against pitchers who are progressive Democrats.

I take issue with almost all StatGraphics show during games. They're almost exclusively meaningless crap like "BA with RISP since June 27th". Everyone gets dumber trying to absorb them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haven't seen him lately. How's his stance? Is it still more open than last year?

He currently is using a "closed stance" as opposed to the "open stance" that seemed to work so well for him last season. Don't know why. I guess it's something he and Coolbaugh have decided upon.

He currently is using a "closed stance" as opposed to the "open stance" that seemed to work so well for him last season. Don't know why. I guess it's something he and Coolbaugh have decided upon.

Actually last year he used an open stance (not closed) and this year it's more of a straight or even stance.

I usually pay no mind to the rep system and don't use it myself, but the fact that I got neg-repped for this is hilarious, petty, sad, and puts to rest any "there are no factions on this forum" talk.

I added a positive to balance it out. Was thinking about doing so anyway before I saw your next post.

No. He was successful after developing a closed stance early last year.

Strange--my typo. I was actually trying to tell rudyrooster that, no, he used a *closed* stance last year, but ended up repeating his mistake, Clearly he used a closed stance last year. Glad you corrected it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd like to start seeing a bit more of Pearce. He's hit .321/.356/.500 since June 4, though starting only 15 of 53 games in that stretch. Undoubtedly, he has been successful largely because Buck has used him vs. LHP a high percentage of the time in that stretch. Still, we know from last year that he can hit RHP when he's on a roll, and I wouldn't mind giving him a chance to get on one. Nothing else is working.

I think I'd like to start seeing a bit more of Pearce. He's hit .321/.356/.500 since June 4, though starting only 15 of 53 games in that stretch. Undoubtedly, he has been successful largely because Buck has used him vs. LHP a high percentage of the time in that stretch. Still, we know from last year that he can hit RHP when he's on a roll, and I wouldn't mind giving him a chance to get on one. Nothing else is working.

Concur violently with this. I've been advocating for more Pearce since he started hitting over a month ago. Why Parmalee is out there every night is beyond me at this point. My hope is that Parmalee is the DFA today, though I bet it'll be Reimold. I think you can argue that we've really stunted this team's progress with the Reimold/Parmalee experiments. We've seen that neither is a panacea; I would play Pearce nearly every day at this point and hope he can recapture some of last year's form.

Concur violently with this. I've been advocating for more Pearce since he started hitting over a month ago. Why Parmalee is out there every night is beyond me at this point. My hope is that Parmalee is the DFA today, though I bet it'll be Reimold. I think you can argue that we've really stunted this team's progress with the Reimold/Parmalee experiments. We've seen that neither is a panacea; I would play Pearce nearly every day at this point and hope he can recapture some of last year's form.

I came onto the site this morning just to advocate this very same thing. Why we are not playing Pearce everyday is beyond me, even if you want to keep Parmalee for his 1B defense in the lineup its not like Parades is setting the world on fire these days....

Archived