On this Date in Oriole History - Ripken Jr named ASG MVP.

Redskins Rick

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[TD=width: 400] In his final All-Star appearance, Cal Ripken is named the MVP of the game. His home run along with consecutive dingers from Derek Jeter and Magglio Ordonez power the AL to its fifth victory in a row, beating the National League at Seattle?s Safeco Field, 4-1. [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• This is starting to happen.  Love to see it. I want to go back to something I have been saying for a while…the Os have a lot of solid vet bats but none of them should be viewed as everyday guys.  I happen to believe that if healthy, Mounty is going to have a career year but I think we need to look at these guys as 300-550 at bats guys…not 500+ for all of them(talking the vets here). By doing that, the young guys get enough playing time to justify being here.    And we also can make a trade or 2 as the season goes on, especially to get Mayo here. There is nothing wrong with this approach. It allows you to have your depth, keep everyone fresh and develop your young talent all at the same time.  
    • Suarez definitely has a plan up there. Changes if the ball is moving in or out. Changes speeds and eye level. He’s also a good weapon to ride right now because the league is essentially getting a first look at him. 
    • My goodness, what a lineup. I hope everyone is taking a second to smell the roses. This is rare even with Holliday's struggles, and Mayo/Basallo aren't even hear yet.
    • He is 5 years younger than the competition. Personally I feel like there's nothing to see here. He was on a heater when he was added to Bowie late last season. He's coming off an interrupted ST and stress fracture injury. He's 19. It's going to be ok lol.
    • An 8 lefty lineup, and with all that talent. I don’t think we got to 8 lefties even with Hicks. Maybe we did with Lester at 3B?  Somewhere Bud Norris is happy he’s retired with all the LHH.  Just like with the pitching staff and their health, things will work themselves out or some players will have to go to AAA. I think Holliday gets till the Yankees series. Or maybe we just bench him if he’s not hitting for those games. Those are big games. 
    • I will say that it is a great luxury to have a team this good, where we can keep running him out there while he’s giving us nothing, and still score plenty of runs. If we can get him going, at some point in this season, we may have the best offense in baseball. Yes, better than even the Braves and Rangers (and I guess Brewers who have mashed so far this year). 
    • After a slow start through his first two series, Sosa had a nice series against Down East Wood Ducks. He's still swinging and missing a little too much, but the 5 walks and 5 doubles were good to see.  So far he's had the best start out of the International top prospects outhitting both Tavera and Arias (who is now on IL). 
  • Popular Contributors