Loewen's First Inning

OsandBohs11

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
#1 concern is Loewen's health. If he's healthy he'll get to a passable level as far as command is concerned. However, he's looking so bad right now that you have to wonder about his health.

I agree...I am not worried about his BB rate because, quite frankly, i think that's going to be a sore spot the next season or 2....I want to see improvement in it...But i am not thinking it is going to be great yet.

I am much more worried about his health than anything right now.

Why are people surprised at this? He didn't have great command before the injury, then he lost almost an entire year.

As long as he's healthy, he needs innings. In my best Tom Skerritt voice -- "Keep sending him up."

Right...It is what it is.

The guy has to log innings for a few years to get his control under control.

It is just the way it is.

I agree...I am not worried about his BB rate because, quite frankly, i think that's going to be a sore spot the next season or 2....I want to see improvement in it...But i am not thinking it is going to be great yet.

I am much more worried about his health than anything right now.

For him personally, yeah, I'm more concerned about his health, but I don't think this is a health issue at all. Just the other day he said he felt magnificent, and apparently he looked it too. Maybe his shoulder is hurting him, but as an Oriole fan, I'm more concerned with his inability to throw strikes. He is of little use, healthy or not, if he can't throw strikes.

His #1 issue is staying healthy. His #2 issue is his command.
Gonna have to disagree here.

You're disagreeing with a pitcher needing to be healthy before worrying about throwing strikes?? That's pretty absurd. But hey, people on this board will disagree with just about anything these days.

Everyone's flipping out about a bad spring training game. Cool your boots people! He's pitched like 6 innings since getting his arm screwed back together. It was a ridiculous game anyway. Johnson let up like 6 runs. Walker let up 2 runs in an inning. It happens, let's give the kid a chance before we throw him on the DL. Geez guys...

Why are people surprised at this? He didn't have great command before the injury, then he lost almost an entire year.

As long as he's healthy, he needs innings. In my best Tom Skerritt voice -- "Keep sending him up."

I agree. Loewen has been more of a question mark then people are ready to admit. Whether his problems are health related or not, we just don't know what he's capable of. He was walking a lot of batter even before he went on the DL. If he is healthy, then there is nothing to do but give him the ball and sort things out. If he isn't, then obviously he needs to go on the DL again.

Even though Loewen is out of options, can he voluntarily go to the minors for awhile if the O's ask him? Why shouldn't a pitcher who just came off a major injury that sat sat him down for a year not get some minor league innings if it could do some good?

Everyone's flipping out about a bad spring training game. Cool your boots people! He's pitched like 6 innings since getting his arm screwed back together. It was a ridiculous game anyway. Johnson let up like 6 runs. Walker let up 2 runs in an inning. It happens, let's give the kid a chance before we throw him on the DL. Geez guys...

And Sarfate pitched 3 innings? I wonder if they are looking at him in the LR role instead of Bierd...

Yeah, hopefully you're right. The great Erik Bedard has gotten torched pretty good this spring as well. We just gotta hope Loewen just needs some more innings to work out his control issues.

You're disagreeing with a pitcher needing to be healthy before worrying about throwing strikes?? That's pretty absurd. But hey, people on this board will disagree with just about anything these days.

Of course he needs to be healthy.

But as best I can tell, nobody but the folks here is saying the guy is hurt this spring.

So what I'm saying is I'd be less concerned about Loewen being injured than about his inability to throw strikes.

How long can the O's pitch with 4 starters at the beginning of the season because it looks like he is going to need a little more time. This is not a reaction to this inning, this is a reaction to his whole spring.

If he is not 100% he might be trying to hit corners too much, instead of just pitching.

They do not need a fifth starter until Sunday April 6. I have felt that we would not know who the fifth starter is until then. Do not be surprised if Hayden Penn or Olson come back up for that start.

As for Loewen, lets see his next outing. He is a high walk guy, but he is not stretched out yet. He may have to stay in Florida in extended ST.

Well said Frobby.

Loewen's future -- anywhere from MLB ace to first-round washout -- depends more on his ability to improve his walk rate than anything else, and whatever the #2 issue is, is not even close.

Walks are the curse of any young pitcher, Loewen most definitely included. He has pitched 4 innings this spring, so let's see if he improves as he builds up arm strength.

Of course he needs to be healthy.

But as best I can tell, nobody but the folks here is saying the guy is hurt this spring.

So what I'm saying is I'd be less concerned about Loewen being injured than about his inability to throw strikes.

You do realize that he missed a ST turn because of shoulder soreness.....the same shoulder which has a torn labrum? Not to mention missing almost a year because he broke his elbow pitching, an elbow which is now held together by screws.

I'd say the chance that Loewen starts the season on the DL is pretty good.....and his chance of ever being a solid ML pitcher are pretty slim.

Archived