James Shields - what would it take

MarCakes21

According to Peter Gammons, the padres have spoken to several teams about Shields. He's in the first year of a 4 year $75 mil deal. The report said the Padres would likely have to eat some of the money.

I always liked Shields when he was in the AL and thought he performed well. We would get control of a front of the rotation starter for 4 years on a deal that isn't awful.

Thoughts on what we could offer that would make the Pads listen?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody who would "move the needle" for us would take Gausman or Bundy or Schoop. Bundy maybe only because of his health issues. But I

wouldn't deal either of the other two. And it wouldn't be nearly enough. We just don't have the prospects to offer a great package.Besides, Shields will be 34 at the end of the year and he isn't THAT great.

Not sure why it would take a lot to get Shields if you are willing to take on his salary.

It is not as if there is a lot of surplus value to be had.

Not sure why it would take a lot to get Shields if you are willing to take on his salary.

It is not as if there is a lot of surplus value to be had.

That's why I don't understand why they would be trying to move him already. I guess Dodgers only sent money for Kemp for this year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That's why I don't understand why they would be trying to move him already. I guess Dodgers only sent money for Kemp for this year.

$18MM of 2015 salary

$3.5MM of 2016 salary

$3.5MM of 2017 salary

$3.5MM of 2018 salary

$3.5MM of 2019 salary

Shields has been average this year, and with his age, there isn't much reason to think he will be much better than that going forward. The Padres would have to eat a ton of money for there to be any value on the contract, let alone the kind of surplus value that commands a big return.

$18MM of 2015 salary

$3.5MM of 2016 salary

$3.5MM of 2017 salary

$3.5MM of 2018 salary

$3.5MM of 2019 salary

I knew there was some money after this year but dodnt realize it was that much. Didn't realize he was signed for so long either. Wow what a bad contract and trade.

Shields has been average this year' date=' and with his age, there isn't much reason to think he will be much better than that going forward. The Padres would have to eat a ton of money for there to be any value on the contract, let alone the kind of surplus value that commands a big return.[/quote']

He's having a fairly poor year in a pitcher's environment. He's been good in the past. His strikeout rate is still high, which tends to be the best indicator of how long he'll last and be good. He wouldn't be a bad acquisition, but he's paid well and Corn is right - not much surplus value there.

Archived