James Shields - what would it take

MarCakes21

Strange new world we live in. His 3.88 ERA actually now registers as a 92 ERA+. For comparison's sake, Tommy Hunter has a 93 ERA+ this year, so you'd be expecting that kind of production.

He's basically in an ideal situation. He's pitching in Petco Park in the NL. You would think he'd be, ahem, well above average.

Hell, he's now pitching in SoCal (where he grew up).

I don't know, maybe his situation is too perfect? Yeah, I'm trying to spin this to how I would feel if the O's DID trade for him (which would be surprising, given I haven't seen Duquette take any underperfoming contracts off anyone's hands since he's been here).

That said, three out of the four previous seasons, he was pretty close to spectacular (with one pretty nice year in between). To discard all of that based off 111 innings this year is a little harsh, but he is 34, so you do have to wonder.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Baseball Reference, Shields's stats are as follows:

ERA: 3.88

WHIP: 1.266

K/9: 10.2

BB/9: 2.9

H/9: 8.9

HR/9: 1.4

Not exactly the numbers of a truly front-line starter with his salary. Our current #1, 2, 3 starters have better numbers than this. We can do better.

Not sure why it would take a lot to get Shields if you are willing to take on his salary.

It is not as if there is a lot of surplus value to be had.

Yes he's horribly overpaid so he probably wouldn't take too much at all we could put together a package.

Im not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a feeling Tillman is slowing getting it back together. He may not, but he's looking like he's working hard to find "it" again.I sure hope so. i think I'd rather have Tillman long term than Shields and what that means.

If fitness is indeed part of the issue then that is something that could be improved during the season.

Im not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a feeling Tillman is slowing getting it back together. He may not, but he's looking like he's working hard to find "it" again.I sure hope so. i think I'd rather have Tillman long term than Shields and what that means.

Shields might be a little better pitcher, but I'd rather have Tillman at his salary/commitment than Shields at his.

Strange new world we live in. His 3.88 ERA actually now registers as a 92 ERA+. For comparison's sake, Tommy Hunter has a 93 ERA+ this year, so you'd be expecting that kind of production.

He's basically in an ideal situation. He's pitching in Petco Park in the NL. You would think he'd be, ahem, well above average.

Hell, he's now pitching in SoCal (where he grew up).

I don't know, maybe his situation is too perfect? Yeah, I'm trying to spin this to how I would feel if the O's DID trade for him (which would be surprising, given I haven't seen Duquette take any underperfoming contracts off anyone's hands since he's been here).

That said, three out of the four previous seasons, he was pretty close to spectacular (with one pretty nice year in between). To discard all of that based off 111 innings this year is a little harsh, but he is 34, so you do have to wonder.

I wouldn't want DD going for this guy. IMO

According to Baseball Reference, Shields's stats are as follows:

ERA: 3.88

WHIP: 1.266

K/9: 10.2

BB/9: 2.9

H/9: 8.9

HR/9: 1.4

Not exactly the numbers of a truly front-line starter with his salary. Our current #1, 2, 3 starters have better numbers than this. We can do better.

I have an absolutely brilliant idea: trade for Shields as our #4 starter. Gausman would be #5. Then we send Bud packing and put Tilly in the pen for the complete "Ubaldo Treatment." Who cares if Shields would be an awfully expensive #4 starter? :D

Shields has been average this year' date=' and with his age, there isn't much reason to think he will be much better than that going forward. The Padres would have to eat a ton of money for there to be any value on the contract, let alone the kind of surplus value that commands a big return.[/quote']

I guess you pay a premium for the fact that he wasn't awful this season.

Archived