Hold or Sell but FTLOG Don't Buy

FanSince88

With how things have been going with our prospects, I have half a mind to trade them all. Not for rentals like Miller last year but if they can get proven talent that's under control for 2-3 years or more, why not? You might get burned on some deals but overall you'll probably come out ahead.

How often are teams able to acquire that kind of player in a trade? It usually means giving up a ton, and we don't have the farm for that.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to sell. This isn't working and, while they could make the playoffs, I don't see them winning much there without incredible luck. It's going to be a very different team the second half of the decade and now we're without any top prospects. Time to go a different way...

I'm leaning towards selling. Way too much inconsistency to think they can put it together and go on a tear in the second half. If you can get good returns for Chen, Wieters or Davis it may be time to move on. If no good deals can be had, then hold and get the draft picks.

I could argue that losing Arrietta and Strop was every bit as big a loss as Eduardo Rodriguez, and yet Scott Feldman helped us get into the playoffs down the stretch.Stiil, we don't have many "pieces" to offer except Gausman or Bundy.Gausman to me is untouchable, and Bundy is damaged goods.

Can't tell if your being sarcastic but we traded for Feldman in 2013 when we in no way made the playoffs. I guess you were joking?

Time to sell. This isn't working and, while they could make the playoffs, I don't see them winning much there without incredible luck. It's going to be a very different team the second half of the decade and now we're without any top prospects. Time to go a different way...

Even with the last few seasons of winning, I've felt deep down that the team simply isn't constructed for a long-term run at success. Either we spend money to make the team good, or we build up from the bottom and scout effectively. I used to believe you could do both in some sustainable way but I realize now it's impossible with the current ownership.

We miss out on good signings all of the time and while we've made some great trades in the past, the current team (as constructed) is not going to the playoffs this year. Trading away good players (like the Miller trade) and then not keeping the quality we got is a bad idea and with free agency on the horizon for a few of our players, the front office needs to make a hard decision real soon.

It may be time to let some folks go, and trade our known talent and get ready for another rebuild but this time, do nothing but stock up the farm with the best possible talent in the draft and on the international scene.

As much as it hurts to say this, the 2012 miracle core won't get us to the promised land.

MSK

I don't even want this team to sell. In this day and age, teams value their prospects more than ever. You're rarely going to get comparable value back in return. Heck, the A's didn't even get a top 75 prospect back in return when they traded Donaldson to the Blue Jays. The days of getting Adam Jones and Chris Tillman for Erik Bedard are over. What the Orioles need to do is be more active signing international free agents like the Cubs and Dodgers have been doing over the last few years. That's the easiest way to replenish talent in a dry farm system.

Even with the last few seasons of winning, I've felt deep down that the team simply isn't constructed for a long-term run at success. Either we spend money to make the team good, or we build up from the bottom and scout effectively. I used to believe you could do both in some sustainable way but I realize now it's impossible with the current ownership.

We miss out on good signings all of the time and while we've made some great trades in the past, the current team (as constructed) is not going to the playoffs this year. Trading away good players (like the Miller trade) and then not keeping the quality we got is a bad idea and with free agency on the horizon for a few of our players, the front office needs to make a hard decision real soon.

It may be time to let some folks go, and trade our known talent and get ready for another rebuild but this time, do nothing but stock up the farm with the best possible talent in the draft and on the international scene.

As much as it hurts to say this, the 2012 miracle core won't get us to the promised land.

MSK

How was Comic-Con!

MSK

This bold sentence pretty much makes no sense to me.

What are we actually losing? Other than Chen and O'Day the other guys who are walking are not exactly making a good case for money well spent this year.

I think the next several offseasons will allow DD and Buck to build a more diverse offense around guys like Manny, Schoop and AJ. That is not exactly chicken scratch to build off of and there will be a significant amount of money freed up that is not really getting the most efficient return on investment right now.

I am kind of excited at the possibility of turning the page. The O's offense feels like a blast from the past and is fun at times to watch but also painful at other times. I think the opportunity to retool it is exciting.

I could argue that losing Arrietta and Strop was every bit as big a loss as Eduardo Rodriguez, and yet Scott Feldman helped us get into the playoffs down the stretch.Stiil, we don't have many "pieces" to offer except Gausman or Bundy.Gausman to me is untouchable, and Bundy is damaged goods.

We didn't get into the playoffs that year. That is part of why people were so upset with the Feldman trade.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived