Sounds like Jones wants some help and the O's be buyers

TouchemAll

Geez everyone I wasn't being serious.

I think it is possible that Jones wants reinforcements and hasn't even thought about how it would mean someone else would get the boot.

Lol I hear ya. Adam speaks from the hip and I love that. It's a hellava lot more entertaining than Bucks standard..." I like our guys"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tillman has been outstanding his last 3 starts. Hopefully he can have another big 2nd half.

I think outstanding is a considerably strong word to use to describe his past 3 starts. On the whole he has been better but hardly outstanding. This was his line 2 starts ago, 4.2 innings, 10 hits, 2 runs ..... hardly outstanding.

I agree with Jones, but it would be nice if he'd hit his HR's when guys are on base.
I don't particularly want them to hit HRs. I know that it's quite exciting when I'm at OPACY and someone hits a HR and all the fans are shouting and singing. Still, what I want is for singles, doubles, triples with RISP. One of the problems is that it looks as if the hitters are all swinging for the fences and then they strike out, or hit weak grounders or pop up or GIDP. They should try and make contact and get on base. And then hope and pray that the next guy up has the same idea, make contact, hit a single or double and bring the guy home.

I think outstanding is a considerably strong word to use to describe his past 3 starts. On the whole he has been better but hardly outstanding. This was his line 2 starts ago, 4.2 innings, 10 hits, 2 runs ..... hardly outstanding.

People on this site has some very low standards. You're right, he's pitched better, but not outstandingly better.

I don't particularly want them to hit HRs. I know that it's quite exciting when I'm at OPACY and someone hits a HR and all the fans are shouting and singing. Still, what I want is for singles, doubles, triples with RISP. One of the problems is that it looks as if the hitters are all swinging for the fences and then they strike out, or hit weak grounders or pop up or GIDP. They should try and make contact and get on base. And then hope and pray that the next guy up has the same idea, make contact, hit a single or double and bring the guy home.

Great post. You get it. Getting hits in clutch situations trumps a non-clutch solo HR any day.

That's because they are swinging for the fences. Hence why we are near bottom of the league in walks and doubles.

I agree with Jones, but it would be nice if he'd hit his HR's when guys are on base.

This reminds me of a game in which Eddie Murray hit home runs from both sides of the plate, but when he flied out late in the game, he was booed. Maybe your criticism should be directed to the guys who aren't hitting.

That's because they are swinging for the fences. Hence why we are near bottom of the league in walks and doubles.

I wonder if Camden Yards has something to do with this team's lack of discipline over the years. The hitters see the short dimensions of Camden Yards and it tempts them to go after the first good pitch they see to try to hit the ball out of the ballpark. If they played half their games at a place like the Oakland Coliseum, I bet their approaches at the plate would be different. For example, J.J. Hardy used to be a pretty patient hitter. He had a career BB% of 8.1% before coming to Baltimore. Since he's been with the Orioles, his BB% has gone all the way down to 5.4% and he's become a dead pull hitter trying to hit every pitch out of the ballpark.

I think the Orioles should take Jones aside and say "look we know you are competitive, and want us to be buyers, but this team can be more competitive faster if we are sellers. We are going trade some players and free up some money and really put together a great mix of young players and solid free agent additions, but we need you to buy in, and we need you to endorse this."

Then go out and trade Davis, Chen, Pearce, O'Day and anything that is not nailed down. This is going to be a huge sellers market and two or three good trades could set this team up for years.

I think the Orioles should take Jones aside and say "look we know you are competitive, and want us to be buyers, but this team can be more competitive faster if we are sellers. We are going trade some players and free up some money and really put together a great mix of young players and solid free agent additions, but we need you to buy in, and we need you to endorse this."

Then go out and trade Davis, Chen, Pearce, O'Day and anything that is not nailed down. This is going to be a huge sellers market and two or three good trades could set this team up for years.

Oh yeah, I'm sure he'll be OK with that.

This reminds me of a game in which Eddie Murray hit home runs from both sides of the plate, but when he flied out late in the game, he was booed. Maybe your criticism should be directed to the guys who aren't hitting.

Eddie was all about hitting slams and 3 run HR's in the 7th. He, like all hitters, had struggles, but no one can say he wasn't clutch.

8.15 k/9. 1.02 BB/9. 51.8 GB%. Zero home runs. 2.04 ERA. 1.60 FIP.

Looks pretty good to me... His BABIP in that time frame is almost .400. He's gotten extremely unlucky but has still pitched great.

I wonder if Camden Yards has something to do with this team's lack of discipline over the years. The hitters see the short dimensions of Camden Yards and it tempts them to go after the first good pitch they see to try to hit the ball out of the ballpark. If they played half their games at a place like the Oakland Coliseum, I bet their approaches at the plate would be different. For example, J.J. Hardy used to be a pretty patient hitter. He had a career BB% of 8.1% before coming to Baltimore. Since he's been with the Orioles, his BB% has gone all the way down to 5.4% and he's become a dead pull hitter trying to hit every pitch out of the ballpark.
The ballpark dimensions might be a factor, but it's something that a MLB hitter should be able to overcome. I see opposing teams get hits with RISP all the time, so why not O's hitters?

Archived