David Ortiz infers Ted Williams 502' HR Was a Fraud (Disrespected Again)

weams

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201507/david-ortiz-ted-williams-fenway-park-red-seat-home-run-502-feet-boston

The seat is so famous that it even has a website dedicated to it: TheRedSeat.com. It marks the landing spot of the longest home run ever hit at Fenway Park, a 502-foot shot by Ted Williams on June 9, 1946. While all the other seats at Fenway are green, the one for seat 21 in row 37 of section 42 is red in honor of Williams' blast.

It is part of Red Sox lore. But according to David Ortiz, a Boston icon in his own right, it is also baloney

ortizgreen.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that it's possible that in the past balls were significantly livelier than they are today. Or at least the quality control wasn't nearly as good and some balls were significantly livelier. Otherwise it's hard to reconcile stories of very long homers in prior eras when all the other known conditions should have led to much shorter home runs. If Bonds, Sosa, McGwire and others of that era couldn't hit a steady diet of 90+ mph fastballs anything remotely close to 565 feet, then how did Mickey Mantle supposedly do that before weightlifting, rock-hard maple bats, with slower pitching, etc? The physics don't make sense unless the ball was different.

Is this the Baltimore equivalent of Manny saying that Brooks wasn't that good of a third baseman?

Didn't he actually say that Brooks was awesome, but he thought Beltre was better? That's not quite the same, although I'm sure some will still never forgive him his blasphemy.

Didn't he actually say that Brooks was awesome, but he thought Beltre was better? That's not quite the same, although I'm sure some will still never forgive him his blasphemy.

I was just making a theoretical comparison to the OP. I think you're confusing it with what Cal actually said.

I hate to agree with Big Sloppy, but he's right.

I never saw Ted Williams play, but I know that he wasn't nearly the size of a roided up Ortiz. And he still hit it 50 feet farther than Ortiz ever has? I seriously doubt Williams ever hit to the red seat. And if he did, there must have been a hurricane behind it, as Ortiz said.

Archived