David Ortiz infers Ted Williams 502' HR Was a Fraud (Disrespected Again)

weams

Didn't Micky Mantle reportedly hit a home run something like 563 feet. If I question the accuracy of that report, I'm hardly calling Mickey Mantle a fraud or even inferring that he's a fraud. I'm question the accuracy of the people who reported it or measured it. It's quite possible the ball bounced on the concrete in an aisle and bounced another 40 feet and they used the distance of where the ball wound up rather than where it landed. Ortiz is skeptical. He has a right to be. You might hate the guy but he's not being disrespectful to Williams, IMO.

He allegedly hit a ball that went 565 feet at Griffith Stadium that cleared the center field bleachers and ended up in the yard of a house. I tend to discount most of these apocryphal stories of home run distance. There's one that says Babe Ruth hit a ball that went 690 feet in a spring training game. Another that says Dan Brouthers hit a ball at Union Park in Baltimore that ended up on a train and didn't stop until it got to New York or Montana or something. But as I said a few posts ago, I wouldn't completely discount the idea that the balls were sometimes a bit bouncier back then and that could have led to distances unachievable with modern equipment and players. I would certainly expect today's athletes with today's equipment to be able to hit the ball farther than players from the past.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He allegedly hit a ball that went 565 feet at Griffith Stadium that cleared the center field bleachers and ended up in the yard of a house. I tend to discount most of these apocryphal stories of home run distance. There's one that says Babe Ruth hit a ball that went 690 feet in a spring training game. Another that says Dan Brouthers hit a ball at Union Park in Baltimore that ended up on a train and didn't stop until it got to New York or Montana or something. But as I said a few posts ago, I wouldn't completely discount the idea that the balls were sometimes a bit bouncier back then and that could have led to distances unachievable with modern equipment and players. I would certainly expect today's athletes with today's equipment to be able to hit the ball farther than players from the past.
I saw Mantle hit one over the centerfield fence off Pedro Ramos.....not saying it was the 563 footer.....footer but it was a BLAST.

Agreed. Nothing of the sort to justify the title. Just seems like clickbait by Weams.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

How about if I believe Ortiz feels he is being disrespected once again? How about if I believe in 500 ft homers? I changed it. No need to be rude.

I saw Mantle hit one over the centerfield fence off Pedro Ramos.....not saying it was the 563 footer.....footer but it was a BLAST.

I saw a few long ones. I saw a Frank Howard blast that I know was 500 +.

Weams, you have a flair for the dramatic. The thread title is misleading. That's being generous.
I hate to agree with Big Sloppy, but he's right.

I never saw Ted Williams play, but I know that he wasn't nearly the size of a roided up Ortiz. And he still hit it 50 feet farther than Ortiz ever has? I seriously doubt Williams ever hit to the red seat. And if he did, there must have been a hurricane behind it, as Ortiz said.

Agreed. Nothing of the sort to justify the title. Just seems like clickbait by Weams.

Believe what you wish.

Ortiz Said "The red seat? Cough -- bull -- cough." - See more at: http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201507/david-ortiz-ted-williams-fenway-park-red-seat-home-run-502-feet-boston#sthash.VeQfxai5.dpuf

I saw a few long ones. I saw a Frank Howard blast that I know was 500 +.

I knew this guy Keith Tarleton who hit .500 as a high school junior, lived down the street from me. Once saw him hit a Nerf baseball from the street in front of my parent's house into Jeff Wimmer's backyard two houses down and a 100' over. It was a shot. Then one time when we turned the field the other way he hit one over the hill two houses the other way that rolled down the other side almost to the pond. That had to be over 1000' before it stopped.

So he thinks an incident is a fraud. Not Ted Williams. How can you possibly infer he thinks Williams is a fraud? He says nothing of the sort. Just questioning the Red Seat.

I knew this guy Keith Tarleton who hit .500 as a high school junior, lived down the street from me. Once saw him hit a Nerf baseball from the street in front of my parent's house into Jeff Wimmer's backyard two houses down and a 100' over. It was a shot. Then one time when we turned the field the other way he hit one over the hill two houses the other way that rolled down the other side almost to the pond. That had to be over 1000' before it stopped.

I saw Russell Branyan hit a ball during BP that landed in a Chipotle burrito bowl at the inner harbor store.

I think the most impressive home run I ever saw on TV was the one Reggie Jackson hit in the 1971 all-star game.

The ball hit a transformer that was about 100 feet above the field. According to this article, its distance if it hadn't hit the transformer would have been 530 feet. http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/top_10_mlb_allstargame_moments/reggie_jackson_1971_homerun.html?state=stop

Archived