David Ortiz infers Ted Williams 502' HR Was a Fraud (Disrespected Again)

weams

I don't doubt that either happened. I'm just not willing to accept/assume that guys from 50 years or more ago could hit baseballs harder and further than today's players under the same conditions.

Yes, I am on your side there. I'd be willing to bet that there have been way more 450+ foot homers in the last decade than there were in the 1940's. Hittracker says there have been 53 so far this season.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I am on your side there. I'd be willing to bet that there have been way more 450+ foot homers in the last decade than there were in the 1940's. Hittracker says there have been 53 so far this season.

IMO, I think there are more guys in this decade that have the power to hit the monster shots, than a few decades ago.

The obvious difference probably has do with, is the weight lifting these guys do, and some of these guys don't stop during the off-season, either.

Of course, now adays, we have hittracker and ESPN daily montage of the home runs of the night before. We are more aware and obvious of what these guys can do.

Years ago, I saw some monster home run shots from Frank Howard, and the different color seats in the outfield, during the season, where his shots landed, was a testament to what he could do.

IMO, I think there are more guys in this decade that have the power to hit the monster shots, than a few decades ago.

The obvious difference probably has do with, is the weight lifting these guys do, and some of these guys don't stop during the off-season, either.

Of course, now adays, we have hittracker and ESPN daily montage of the home runs of the night before. We are more aware and obvious of what these guys can do.

Years ago, I saw some monster home run shots from Frank Howard, and the different color seats in the outfield, during the season, where his shots landed, was a testament to what he could do.

I took my sons to an exhibition game between the Cardinals and Expos at RFK Stadium in 1999 where Mark McGwire put on a show in batting practice, hitting balls beyond the white seats of Frank Howard's shots. He even hit one onto the roof, which had never been done. PEDs or not, McGwire hit the ball unbelievably far. My kids loved it.

I took my sons to an exhibition game between the Cardinals and Expos at RFK Stadium in 1999 where Mark McGwire put on a show in batting practice, hitting balls beyond the white seats of Frank Howard's shots. He even hit one onto the roof, which had never been done. PEDs or not, McGwire hit the ball unbelievably far. My kids loved it.

Howard hit one out of old Tiger's stadium, one of only 3 players to do such.

340 foot from home plate and 94 foot high roof.

Maybe not though as a ball hit that high could have easily been carried by a strong wind gust making such a clout seem normally impossible. I once hit a golf ball 188 yards with a 6 iron on a par 3 a couple feet to the side of the hole. I was 57 years old and hitting about 210 on a good drive with a driver. I couldn't do that again in a million tries but the ball got caught by the wind and went a good 35 yards further than it normally would have. So a clout by Williams could have had similar wind assistance. It is definitely possible I think.

I can buy that it could have been significantly wind-aided. Williams did have some serious power, especially for a guy back in his day.

Tell you what, considering what a great hitter and American Ted Williams was, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt! Here's a very interesting story about Williams that talks about his actions in war, but also interestingly, what his numbers could have looked like had he not given up five years of his career for his country.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/221397-1953-year-we-almost-lost-ted-williams

Tell you what, considering what a great hitter and American Ted Williams was, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt! Here's a very interesting story about Williams that talks about his actions in war, but also interestingly, what his numbers could have looked like had he not given up five years of his career for his country.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/221397-1953-year-we-almost-lost-ted-williams

John Glenn's wing man in Korea.

If you're going to argue that it's all genetic then I'd really like an explanation for things like why the Olympic swimming Gold Medal times of 1930 wouldn't win a good high school meet today. No, you can't go get Babe Ruth out of the grave and put him in the home run derby, but there's a ton of indirect evidence to work with.

This is a pretty interesting watch:

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_better_stronger?language=en

When the Senators were in DC and I was 13 years old, I won a contest and got to be honorary batboy for the Senators for a game. Among other perks, I got to go into the dugout before the game and meet Ted Williams, who was managing the Senators then. I felt like I was shaking hands with a god. Because in baseball terms, that's what he was.

When the Senators were in DC and I was 13 years old, I won a contest and got to be honorary batboy for the Senators for a game. Among other perks, I got to go into the dugout before the game and meet Ted Williams, who was managing the Senators then. I felt like I was shaking hands with a god. Because in baseball terms, that's what he was.
Those were some huge hands.

That must've been a bomb. Certainly would be cool to see video's of these shots.

Kilabrew did it in 62 and Howard in 68.

Fielder did it on August 25, 1990, shame that he fooled the cameraman. Of course, back then, they didn't have the TV coverage there is now.

[video=youtube;4Cum4NKXnho]

BTW, these guys are the only ones that hit a ball over the "left field" roof. I also read another article that said there was four guys and McGwire also did it.

There was 30 guys that made it over the "right field" roof, Cash did it four times.

Wow, that must have been awesome, I am so dang jealous.

I loved when they use to have Bat day at the park and give out free baseball bats. Those where the days!

Archived