Wesley Wright DFA (Released)

Can_of_corn

I didn't realize that this was 100% fact.

Sometimes in life you got to deal with hearing bad results. Doesn't make it negative. Believe me, I want to see the team right the ship and DD to pull off some moves at the deadline to get us into the playoffs. An excuse many of us made for DD was that he always leaves himself wiggle room to make moves in season. I just hope that happens. Because all the terrible decisions in the offseason has given him little margin for error.

None of those contract would have killed the team if only for this season. They weren't. I appreciate a good agenda. And you have one. Your rant is well couched. And picking and choosing positive results after half a season is never a reasonable technique in describing the quality of a GM's actions. You don't get to call the actions horrible. We will know in four years. Not now.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
None of those contract would have killed the team if only for this season. They weren't. I appreciate a good agenda. And you have one. Your rant is well couched. And picking and choosing positive results after half a season is never a reasonable technique in describing the quality of a GM's actions. You don't get to call the actions horrible. We will know in four years. Not now.

i think we'll know a lot about our ownership come OD 2016.

Hyperbole and conspiratorial thinks no aside, I do find the inconsistency in DD's approach confusing and frustrating. I think there's some inconsistency in the way they talk about having very limited resources and how the O's spend money and in their approach to the minor league system/development.

Hyperbole and conspiratorial thinks no aside, I do find the inconsistency in DD's approach confusing and frustrating. I think there's some inconsistency in the way they talk about having very limited resources and how the O's spend money and in their approach to the minor league system/development.
thoughts aside. iPad keyboard :(

I would certainly prefer they spent on the international market instead of so much on AAAA depth but as a fan I can afford to take the long view.

The total unused portion is 5.765M. But 3 of these 4 players filled holes for the O's in the first half. When they no longer fit with the O's then Dan got rid of them. It is actually a very strong move by a GM to keep the good players and get rid of the ones he can't fit onto the roster.

I think it's a stretch to say Cabrera, De Aza, and Young "filled holes" in the first half. They were warm bodies, yes, but they combined for below-replacement value (-0.7 rWAR). They really didn't contribute much of anything.

That said, I think Duquette's decision to sign/tender them last winter was defensible. I liked Cabrera in particular as a potentially high reward signing. It just didn't work out.

As I've said before, it's a lot less than having a disaster like the Ryan Howard contract, but it has not been a great last half year for Duquette.

I'm inclined to give him a pass since I have no real names that I would have strongly targeted in the offseason.

Yes he spent money I wouldn't have but at most that would mean I wouldn't have had to give up the Comp pick to recoup the Webb money.

I think it's a stretch to say Cabrera, De Aza, and Young "filled holes" in the first half. They were warm bodies, yes, but they combined for below-replacement value (-0.7 rWAR). They really didn't contribute much of anything.

That said, I think Duquette's decision to sign/tender them last winter was defensible. I liked Cabrera in particular as a potentially high reward signing. It just didn't work out.

I said they filled holes. I didn't say they filled holes well.

I'm inclined to give him a pass since I have no real names that I would have strongly targeted in the offseason.

Yes he spent money I wouldn't have but at most that would mean I wouldn't have had to give up the Comp pick to recoup the Webb money.

I agree with the obvious not knowing of what the other options are, it's just a tough to see $18M and the pick wasted. I'm glad however to see Duquette cut bait with most of them for the betterment of the 25 man roster.

I said they filled holes. I didn't say they filled holes well.

Then it stands to reason that the O's could've filled those holes with guys making the league minimum, without much if any dropoff in production. That supports the idea that guys like Cabrera, De Aza, etc. were a waste of money.

Then it stands to reason that the O's could've filled those holes with guys making the league minimum, without much if any dropoff in production. That supports the idea that guys like Cabrera, De Aza, etc. were a waste of money.

I think Cabrera was also insurance, remember, last season, when Manny and Hardy both went down, and they didn't have anything after Flaherty to plug in and be productive at the major league level.

Nobody had 100% assurances that Manny would be ready to be, and not need until mid June.

I think Cabrera was also insurance, remember, last season, when Manny and Hardy both went down, and they didn't have anything after Flaherty to plug in and be productive at the major league level.

Nobody had 100% assurances that Manny would be ready to be, and not need until mid June.

That's all well and good but there was no guarantee that Cabrera would provide production at the major league level either. They could have taken Nix at$800k to be as bad as Cabrera. Or Navarro at league minimum.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That's all well and good but there was no guarantee that Cabrera would provide production at the major league level either. They could have taken Nix at$800k to be as bad as Cabrera. Or Navarro at league minimum.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That's all hindsight, now.

Remember the talk in OH prior to ST, was Cabrera was going to be an upgrade over Flaherty and knock Flaherty down to AAA.

Personally, at the time, I thought Cabrera was an upgrade to what we had in AAA, and while a risk, he was still more of a veteran than some other options available at the time

Archived