Wesley Wright DFA (Released)

Can_of_corn

It isn't really DD's fault that he has to patch together this roster with duct tape and wire. Do you think he would resign Cruz if he had the ability/authority to?

He is hamstrung by ownership which I would bet is one of the reasons he wanted out of here to a place where he had more authority.

Ownership doesn't really want to win championship unless they can do it without going outside their payroll comfort zone. But make no mistake,

the Orioles have the means to pay core players but have they? Will they? Past history says no unless you get duped into a team friendly deal like Adam Jones did.

Wieters, Davis, O'Day, etc. want market value and O's are to cheap to play in that market.

Commitment is shown with $$. MASN dollars line ownership's pockets instead.

The worst part is unlike our neighbors, the Nats, who will let Zimmerman, Fister and Desmond walk, the Orioles have NO replacements

for any of the players leaving after this season.

Next year and beyond looks pretty bleak.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It isn't really DD's fault that he has to patch together this roster with duct tape and wire. Do you think he would resign Cruz if he had the ability/authority to?

He is hamstrung by ownership which I would bet is one of the reasons he wanted out of here to a place where he had more authority.

Ownership doesn't really want to win championship unless they can do it without going outside their payroll comfort zone. But make no mistake,

the Orioles have the means to pay core players but have they? Will they? Past history says no unless you get duped into a team friendly deal like Adam Jones did.

Wieters, Davis, O'Day, etc. want market value and O's are to cheap to play in that market.

The worst part is unlike our neighbors, the Nats, who will let Zimmerman, Fister and Desmond walk, the Orioles have NO replacements

Sorry, but I disagree with 100%.

No. Unless your scenario gives him an almost unlimited payroll that would enable him to blithely cut Cruz when his performance inevitably plummets in year three or four of the deal.

It's just fact around here that Cruz's deal is going to be terrible in years 3 and 4. Why root against Cruz. He was the first player out to congratulate Manny during the Home run contest. He was a great player while he was here. He's plays in the AL West and isn't really direct competition for us.

It's just fact around here that Cruz's deal is going to be terrible in years 3 and 4. Why root against Cruz. He was the first player out to congratulate Manny during the Home run contest. He was a great player while he was here. He's plays in the AL West and isn't really direct competition for us.

What does the fact that he is aging have to do with rooting against him? Even Jim "pay the man" Bowden thought the Mariners were crazy to give Cruz four years.

I don't root against Cruz. I hope he does great the next 3.5 years. Same with Nick. But I think it makes sense to assume some age-related decline, especially with Cruz, who is 35 years old now (this is his age 34 season, because his birthday was July 1). He may beat the odds, but it will be just that, beating the odds.

I don't root against Cruz. I hope he does great the next 3.5 years. Same with Nick. But I think it makes sense to assume some age-related decline, especially with Cruz, who is 35 years old now (this is his age 34 season, because his birthday was July 1). He may beat the odds, but it will be just that, beating the odds.

:agree: Exactly.

That's all hindsight, now.

Remember the talk in OH prior to ST, was Cabrera was going to be an upgrade over Flaherty and knock Flaherty down to AAA.

Personally, at the time, I thought Cabrera was an upgrade to what we had in AAA, and while a risk, he was still more of a veteran than some other options available at the time

Most people thought Flaherty would get sent down due to a roster crunch more so than Cabrera being an upgrade.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

You're right. Why it was out of character was because it wasn't him making the moves. He chose not to re sign our FA's. Which is cool if you have a plan. Which I know he did. But boom Toronto happens. The team goes on auto pilot and tenders everyone. Toronto situation gets resolved. DD is then stuck with the tenders and no financial flexibility. Then has to take the resources he has left and field a team. Trades for Snider, then signs Young, Cabrera and Wright. I highly doubt this was his plan when he chose not to resign those players. Like we all feared at the time of the Toronto fiasco, this season was lost in the offseason. I'm not blaming DD. I'm blaming the O's ownership. We should have let DD take the promotion. Got reasonable compensation. Resolved the situation quickly, and named Brady interim GM and have interviews at the end of the season.

I hope your wrong on this statement because it would be a knock on Duquette's professionalism.

However, your points are valid expect ownership. It's not Angelos's job to obtain players, it's Duquette's.

Your theory would explain why Matsuz/Hunter/Norris were still on this team, come opening day 2015.

What do disagree with?

1) The fact the Orioles wont pay what it costs to keep core players?

2) That the regional network makes big money and is not being used to keep those core players or to go out and get the players needed to win a championship?

3)The fact that the Orioles have NOBODY in the minor league system to replace those pending free agents.

4) That next year and beyond doesn't look bleak?

Curious to what you are referring to...

What do disagree with?

1) The fact the Orioles wont pay what it costs to keep core players?

2) That the regional network makes big money and is not being used to keep those core players or to go out and get the players needed to win a championship?

3)The fact that the Orioles have NOBODY in the minor league system to replace those pending free agents.

4) That next year and beyond doesn't look bleak?

Curious to what you are referring to...

1 and 2 are by far the biggest issues. If the MASN case gets settled and Angelos decides to put that money back into the team, like he should, then there is no reason why are payroll can't go up a little. Every team has a budget. I don't care about the team not handing out ridiculous deals to players. Like Chen will get. Like Davis and MW will probably get. I'd like to see them be like how the Royals are structured now. They signed a bunch of there core guys to 6-7 year deals when they were just getting into there 3 arb years.

So that would mean giving Manny, Gonzo, Britton and Tillman all 5-7 year deals to buy out their remaining arb years but also delay them from hitting FA. Plus extending Jones again. That's how you spend money on a budget, and make your fans happy. Getting into bidding wars in FA almost never goes well. Something like this could work...

Manny 7+/140+

Britton 5/45

Gonzo 5/40

Tillman 5/50

Sorry, but I disagree with 100%.

Dan Duquette has said he was not interested in Nelson Cruz at four years. I guess he could just be a big fat liar.

Also the job that he was being tampered with over is a President job. Not a president of baseball ops job. It was to get the Jays off of Ragers plate and have someone who was responsible for the dying sod.

I bet the Orioles win more games next season than the Washington Club.

I hope your wrong on this statement because it would be a knock on Duquette's professionalism.

However, your points are valid expect ownership. It's not Angelos's job to obtain players, it's Duquette's.

Your theory would explain why Matsuz/Hunter/Norris were still on this team, come opening day 2015.

There is really no meddling. It's an old worn out ditty that some folks like to dust out from time to time.

Dan Duquette never pursued any other jobs. He got tampered with And it got dealt with very professionally.

Dan Duquette has said he was not interested in Nelson Cruz at five years. I guess he could just be a big fat liar.

Also the job that he was being tampered with over is a President job. Not a president of baseball ops job. It was to get the Jays off of Ragers plate and have someone who was responsible for the dying sod.

I bet the Orioles win more games next season than the Washington Club.

Eh, Washington is pretty stacked and will be over the next few years. But why worry about them? They are not our competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived