No O'Day appearance in ASG

Big Al

Yost said he the plan was to use O'Day in the same inning as Britton, but one thing led to another and that didn't happen. Forgot exactly why he said he didn't use him, but he was planning to. It was on the MLBN post game show.

Yost said he the plan was to use O'Day in the same inning as Britton, but one thing led to another and that didn't happen. Forgot exactly why he said he didn't use him, but he was planning to. It was on the MLBN post game show.

I figured when Tulo PH for Rizzo it was a lock O'day would come in. Guess not.

As much as I love to hate on everything the Royals do, I cannot fault Yost on this one. Yost selected O'Day to be on the All-Star Roster when it is unheard of to select middle relievers to join the squad. Even with O'Day's great stats, starters and closers usually make up the AS roster, not middle relievers, regardless of how great he may be. So yes, it was disappointing he couldn't make an appearance, but thanks to Yost he'll always be an All-Star from here on going forward.

If anything, Orioles fans should be upset that being selected to the roster will increase O'Day's asking price this offseason. But even still, I feel good for Darren.

I realize Yost couldn't use all the pitchers, but it's a shame Darren couldn't come in to face at least one batter as it was his first time as an All-Star.
I saw that too. I think that Yost felt that he needed to use closers and Big Name pitchers. Darren O'Day is neither. He's just a quality All Star reliever.

Not much you can do when you have 15 pitchers on the roster.

So Bill James wrote a piece the other day on the All Star game, and mentioned that for a long time it was just a given that some or most of the non-starters wouldn't get into the game. Because it's silly to expect the manager to use an entire 18- or 20-man roster in a one-off exhibition that you were actually trying to win. Now, as Frobby mentions, there are almost as many pitchers on the roster as there were players on the roster for the first ~decade of All Star games. In the early days the managers picked the entire roster, it wasn't until after WWII that the fan vote came along. And apparently Yanks' manager Joe McCarthy got some flack for picking/playing too many Yanks so in '43 he picked five Yanks for the roster but put none of them in the game.

As much as I love to hate on everything the Royals do, I cannot fault Yost on this one. Yost selected O'Day to be on the All-Star Roster when it is unheard of to select middle relievers to join the squad. Even with O'Day's great stats, starters and closers usually make up the AS roster, not middle relievers, regardless of how great he may be. So yes, it was disappointing he couldn't make an appearance, but thanks to Yost he'll always be an All-Star from here on going forward.

If anything, Orioles fans should be upset that being selected to the roster will increase O'Day's asking price this offseason. But even still, I feel good for Darren.

I don't think it's unheard of. It's not commonplace, but I'm sure there are others.

This was brought up in another thread, but I simply don't believe it. Darren or his agent may try to use it as leverage, but nobody is going to pay for Darren O'Day because of one All Star appearance that was largely based who was managing the team. Someone is going to pay Darren O'Day because of his track record and because he's been a stellar reliever the last three plus years.

This was brought up in another thread, but I simply don't believe it. Darren or his agent may try to use it as leverage, but nobody is going to pay for Darren O'Day because of one All Star appearance that was largely based who was managing the team. Someone is going to pay Darren O'Day because of his track record and because he's been a stellar reliever the last three plus years.

I think it holds no water, whatsoever. Pick a name... Tyler Clippard. Let's say both Clippard and O'Day are available. Pretty comparable in terms of ERA, ERA+, FIP, WAR, K rate, BB rate. That's what they'll look at. No team in their right mind is even going to look at All Star selections when negotiating a contract. Nobody is going to say "I'll offer Clippard 3/18, but I'm going 3/24 for O'Day because Ned Yost picked him to sit the bench in Cincy that one day!" Zero impact.

Archived