Possible Trades

twinedenter

The actual words say "indicates to Connolly that an outfield addition is on the table". Literally that means a trade is on the table.

You guys are interpreting this statement in your own way, just like I am. Not sure why the criticism.

But those words were not in the Connolly article, just the MLBTR recap of the article. Here is what Connolly wrote on the subject of acquiring an outfielder.

Trading for an outfielder is a consideration, Duquette acknowledged, but it's contingent on what he'd have to give up from a limited array of trade chips and what would be coming back in return.

"It depends on what the quality of the players that are available comparative to the players we have. So that's something we'll have to take a look at," Duquette said. "We would hope to get more production out of left field in the second half of the season."

The actual words say "indicates to Connolly that an outfield addition is on the table". Literally that means a trade is on the table.

You guys are interpreting this statement in your own way, just like I am. Not sure why the criticism.

OF addition could be Alvarez.

IMO, "an outfield addition is on the table" refers to the team pursuing the strategy of adding an OF, not that a particular trade offer has been made. I think this is pretty apparent, but can totally see how someone might misinterpret. Take a breath, people.

My thoughts on this thread:

1. DD nor Connolly ever implied a trade was on the table. DD, of course, never would because he--like most GMs--like to keep things silent until they are complete as leaks have a way of killing deals.

2. Just because DD did not say a deal was on the table, does not mean one is not. As noted below, these things are usually hush hush until they are more definite. I, in fact, expect that DD has heard an offer or two and probable made some as well...though whether they were hard offers or more generic conversations is less certain.

3. If the Orioles are to pursue one of the OFers listed, I'd want Jay Bruce. Admittedly, the lefty bat in the 4-6 hole is a bit out of balance with Davis and Wieters, but I like the idea of Bruce being signed on an extra year (considering we are already losing a number of players via Free Agency and he could fill a hole). With him, the line-up works out to something like this:

1. 3B- Manny Machado ®

2. DH- Jimmy Paredes (S)

3. CF- Adam Jones ®

4. RF- Jay Bruce (L)

5. 1B- Chris Davis (L)

6. C- Matt Wieters (S)

7. SS- J.J. Hardy ®

8. LF- N. Reimold ®/T. Snider (L)/S. Pearce ®/D. Lough (L)/C. Parmelee (L)

9. 2B- Jonathan Schoop ®

That's not bad. Bruce has shown the ability to handle lefties pretty well in his career so I'm not as concerned about the lefty/switch-hitter overload 4-6. The only issue is who goes off the 25-man roster? Two of the group I listed in LF will need to go.

Get Josh Reddick and Will Smith

3B.Machado

DH Paredes

CF Jones

1B Davis

LF Pearce

RF Reddick

C Wieters

2B Schoop

SS Hardy

Joseph

Lough