Would a Clevenger for Trumbo trade make sense?

mdbdotcom

I think a Clevenger/Joseph platoon is going to be great value for next year and beyond. And so much for Joseph and Tillman not working good together. 1 hitter tonight.

I agree on the Clevenger/Joseph platoon - Clevenger has every right to be aggrieved - but I think his time is coming for this team next year.

Clevenger is 29 and has a career MLB OPS of .579 in 352 PAs. His defensive reputation is poor, to the point where he didn't get any real playing time while Matt Wieters was out for a year. Trumbo is also 29, and his season that is supposedly so bad that the Mariners have to be rid of him involves about 100 PAs of hitting like... Steve Clevenger. Otherwise he has 2500 MLB PAs of a .753 OPS and a 109 OPS+.

To me this is one of those deals that would only be considered by Oriole fans, unless you're using Clevenger as a stand in for "warm body being used by Seattle strictly for salary relief." On playing merits its a complete non-starter. As a salary dump you could insert almost any name from any AAA team.

Clevenger is 29 and has a career MLB OPS of .579 in 352 PAs. His defensive reputation is poor, to the point where he didn't get any real playing time while Matt Wieters was out for a year. Trumbo is also 29, and his season that is supposedly so bad that the Mariners have to be rid of him involves about 100 PAs of hitting like... Steve Clevenger. Otherwise he has 2500 MLB PAs of a .753 OPS and a 109 OPS+.

To me this is one of those deals that would only be considered by Oriole fans, unless you're using Clevenger as a stand in for "warm body being used by Seattle strictly for salary relief." On playing merits its a complete non-starter. As a salary dump you could insert almost any name from any AAA team.

So then, you consider it likely?

Archived