Gui Yuan Xu (Itchy)

weams

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Orioles have signed free agent INF Gui Yuan “Itchy” Xu to a 2016 minor league deal. <a href="http://t.co/FpyUdzeJis">pic.twitter.com/FpyUdzeJis</a></p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">July 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Orioles sign infielder Gui Yuan Xu out of Shenzhen China via MLB Development Center in Wuxi, Jiangsu, China.

Xu is the first player signed by a MLB team from one of the MLB Development Center's.

Now its in plain text, soon anyone searching will find it here. Get to it Google!

Orioles sign infielder Gui Yuan Xu out of Shenzhen China via MLB Development Center in Wuxi, Jiangsu, China.

Xu is the first player signed by a MLB team from one of the MLB Development Center's.

Now its in plain text, soon anyone searching will find it here. Get to it Google!

Got it!

Got it!
China had a rich baseball history in the first half of the 20th century, with Chinese teams traveling overseas to play, and American All-Star teams, including the likes of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, traveling to China for exhibition games. But during China's cultural revolution, Mao Zedong banned baseball from 1966 through 1976 as a symbol of Western indulgence. Following Mao's death, baseball was slow to regain its footing in China, despite the fact baseball, of all the sports, seems suited to Chinese culture.

mao_1895018c.jpg

fec2950886d507103425111185506f32.jpg?itok=dbv1OQkr

"Ichiro is a hitting god and I love hitting, and I want to work hard to be as good as he is," Xu said. "I am excited to have a chance to go to MLB and play baseball, and I'm happy the Orioles gave me this opportunity."

Archived