Tell Manny he's not Rickey

Ori-Al

It's time for Buck to tell Manny to stop with the base stealing business. He did well early in the season, when it was unexpected of a guy coming off two knee surgeries in two years. Of late, he's been getting himself picked off, because pitchers are now keeping their eye on him. Giving away outs on the bases is bad.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that pickoff last night was really big. Manny had a five-pitch walk, Paredes had a five-pitch strikeout, and Adam had already seen five pitches before the pickoff occurred. At that point, we've got a good chance to get Eovaldi's pitch count way up there in the first inning, and maybe get some runs. Then the pickoff deflates everything. It kind of set the tone for the game.

Manny was gonna run on that pitch. He got caught making a move. Toss it up to bad luck and nothing more.
It happens to all players. They get caught sometimes. Just part of the game.

Exactly, I agree, it's why they play the game, nothing in guaranteed.

Not sure why some posters are so negative around here.

Manny was gonna run on that pitch. He got caught making a move. Toss it up to bad luck and nothing more.
It happens to all players. They get caught sometimes. Just part of the game.
Exactly, I agree, it's why they play the game, nothing in guaranteed.

Not sure why some posters are so negative around here.

It might be helpful if the coaching staff were to remind Manny that leadoff hitters don't need to steal any bases, just getting on base is his job. And that getting caught stealing is far more damaging than a successful steal is positive. I don't know if his mind works this way, but it might be good to let him know that if he's caught or picked off three or more times in every 10 steal attempts he's costing the Orioles runs.

It might be helpful if the coaching staff were to remind Manny that leadoff hitters don't need to steal any bases, just getting on base is his job. And that getting caught stealing is far more damaging than a successful steal is positive. I don't know if his mind works this way, but it might be good to let him know that if he's caught or picked off three or more times in every 10 steal attempts he's costing the Orioles runs.

I guess it all depends on Buck and how Buck feels.

Some just believe he is being aggressive.

Not to mention, injuring that throwing hand. Probably not a smart trade off. I personally think he should stand there. But that is the game the way I like it.

I wrote a post the other day about how Manny was beginning to emerge as a team leader. I was wrong. He's still too young and is continuing to evolve as a player. Last night's game was extremely important for us. Manny getting picked off was a classic case of a young player trying to do too much, rather than letting the game come to him. He needed to give his number three hitter a shot to do some damage. Instead, he killed the momentum.

I understand that the implementation is up to Buck. But that doesn't change the fact that if you're getting caught 30% of the time or more you're costing the Orioles runs and wins.

Only if you assume, you score every time you get on base.

If the pitcher is worried about the man on first, he has been known to leave a heater across the dead center of the plate, or hang a breaking ball.

Heck, the pitcher has been known to throw to first, and miss the dude all together and have the ball land in the seats.

The man on second base has a higher percentage of scoring, then if he was on first. Sometimes you have to take risks and play small ball.

Only if you assume, you score every time you get on base.

If the pitcher is worried about the man on first, he has been known to leave a heater across the dead center of the plate, or hang a breaking ball.

Heck, the pitcher has been known to throw to first, and miss the dude all together and have the ball land in the seats.

The man on second base has a higher percentage of scoring, then if he was on first. Sometimes you have to take risks and play small ball.

No. You can't tell me that you're going to pick and choose when you make it and when you get caught on the basis of leverage or whatever. If you're not making it more than 70% of the time you're better off staying planted on first. The Book, once again, goes over all of this. "Taking the risks and playing small ball" in the context of modern major league baseball almost always results in scoring fewer runs.

Manny's ratio has turned relatively recently. As of July 8, Manny had stolen 13 bases with 2 CS and one pickoff. That's a good ratio that anyone would be happy with. Since then, he has been caught stealing twice (once on a pick-off/caught stealing), and has been picked off one other time. 13 steals to 3 outs = good, 13 steals to 6 outs = bad. Hopefully things turn back around for him; he's had a tough two weeks on the bases.

Archived