What is the market for Davis, Wieters, Chen, and O'Day?

ChuckS

I'm curious to see what the rest of you think these guys can bring back in trade. They all would seem to have some value....but as two month rentals?

Are they worth trading? Will they bring back something significantly better than a compensation pick (which I'm assuming we would get after we offer Davis, Wieters, and Chen QO's)?

Like I've said previously if we are more than five games out of the division lead at the end of the month, I think we are sellers.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chen and Wieters are worth trading, Davis and O'Day are not. I don't think the latter two will bring back much in a trade. Getting the comp pick for Davis will probably be more valuable than any prospect they receive from a trade. And I want the Orioles to do everything in their power to keep O'Day. As for Chen, I believe they can get some decent prospects back for him. He would be a terrific addition for a National League team in a big ballpark. A team like the Giants would be a perfect fit for him. They badly need another reliable starter. I don't know how good the Giants farm system is but they traded away Zach Wheeler for Beltran and a couple top prospects for Peavy last year so it's not like they are unwilling to trade away prospects. They would be a good trade partner for the Orioles.

I feel like a two month rental may not get you what it once did.

Teams value cheap cost controlled players more than ever......especially when that talent is good.

I would be extremely happy if any of those guys brought us back a top 100 prospect. I think we might land some players in the next wave 100-200 range, which would still end up being top 10 guys in our organization. Bringing back three or four players like that wouldn't be a bad return.

Exhibit A: Eduardo Rodriguez. Not saying another GM would be willing to do it, but I bet someone would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After struggling at Bowie with us for most of last season I think Eduardo was solidly in that 100-200 range that I was speaking of at the time of the trade.

Chen might have the most value to us at the deadline of the four I mentioned in the OP. Maybe he brings back that top 100 prospect.

I think Chen could get a pretty decent return. I think Wieters would be the easiest to part with as far as having a replacement. My biggest hope is that DD doesn't overestimate our playoff chances and go for it this year. We will be in bad shape if that happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's definitely a seller's market.

But they won't sell....

I'm really kind of torn on this. I just don't have the feeling that this team can turn it around. But, as others have pointed out, our record is right around where KC was this time last year. Can we make a move or two that can infuse this team with a spark?

Chen and Wieters are worth trading, Davis and O'Day are not. .....

I agree that we probably keep two of those four, but I think we keep Chen. Wieters is a maybe- he might not get so much back in a trade since he's still getting the rust off. No way we keep Oday- high priced set up men go elsewhere and become closers, and Britton is going anywhere. Davis is the interesting one to me, especially if Paramalee stays when Gausman is brought up. Sure Chris will be over priced, but he fills a void here. Just wish I was a fly on DD's wall this week!

I think Chen (a lefty starter) would be the one impending free-agent that could possibly bring a very nice "prospect" in return. I'm talking some other teams top 5 minor leaguer. I don't think the O's are right now in a "sell-mode" but that could change over the next 10 days. I would be satisfied to hang onto Wieters and Davis and get the compensatory pick for both. I just really don't think that any potential trade-partner will offer anything of significant value for those 2 ballplayers.

I'm really kind of torn on this. I just don't have the feeling that this team can turn it around. But, as others have pointed out, our record is right around where KC was this time last year. Can we make a move or two that can infuse this team with a spark?

In the last couple of weeks I've seen myself drift into sell territory, if we can get value back. 2015 doesn't mean as much to me as getting back solid future value for Chen and Weiters, if that value can be had. We have maybe a 10% chance of resigning either of them, and while the draft picks are good, I think we'll end up looking back with regret if we don't take advantage of potential good deals.

Davis, in this trade market where Adam Lind is the next best option, for teams like the Astros and Pittsburgh who have deep farm systems?

The reason the Orioles should be sellers.

I believe the market for each is the equivalent of compensation pick a year later in the minors with so-so development. And of course fodder to make it look good.

I'm curious to see what the rest of you think these guys can bring back in trade. They all would seem to have some value....but as two month rentals?

Are they worth trading? Will they bring back something significantly better than a compensation pick (which I'm assuming we would get after we offer Davis, Wieters, and Chen QO's)?

Like I've said previously if we are more than five games out of the division lead at the end of the month, I think we are sellers.

This is a moot point.

No matter how much and vocal some of the fans about being sellers.

This FO is not going to become sellers, it's not going to happen.

Archived