What is the market for Davis, Wieters, Chen, and O'Day?

ChuckS

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you're saying that some combination of the Orioles' players with expiring contracts could net us a guy with a 4.79 ERA his second year in AA ball?

Absolutely they could. Even one that previously had some luster.

I think Chen could get a pretty decent return. I think Wieters would be the easiest to part with as far as having a replacement. My biggest hope is that DD doesn't overestimate our playoff chances and go for it this year. We will be in bad shape if that happens.

Why would they be in bad shape? Whatever they get back in trade probably won't be significantly more valuable than draft picks they get from doing nothing more than offering up a few QOs. And how much future mortgaging can you do when the consensus seems to be that the O's don't have any good prospects?

So you're saying that some combination of the Orioles' players with expiring contracts could net us a guy with a 4.79 ERA his second year in AA ball?

I'm just saying there might be some kind of "diamond in the rough" that might could be found out there. Not saying its likely though. I know it's looking like we struck out on those this past off season.

Chaz Roe was that guy at one point. Tommy Hunter was that guy at one point. Brian Matusz was more than that guy at several points. Chris Parmelee was that guy, Travis Snider was that guy, Nolan Reimold too. Brandon Snyder was that guy.

Why would they be in bad shape? Whatever they get back in trade probably won't be significantly more valuable than draft picks they get from doing nothing more than offering up a few QOs. And how much future mortgaging can you do when the consensus seems to be that the O's don't have any good prospects?

If you make the QO's, is not the worst thing in the world. I just think it sets you back a couple of years. I mean I'm sure we can all agree that all of your picks aren't going to pan out. The couple that work out will be several years from probably seeing the majors. At that point, then you're starting to have to worry about Machado and Schoop contracts. I guess it's the game you have to play as a general manager. I'm just glad I don't have to do it and I can 2nd guess from my couch.

I believe the market for each is the equivalent of compensation pick a year later in the minors with so-so development. And of course fodder to make it look good.

Frankly at this point I would rather trust a prospect developed in someone else's farm system than I would in the Orioles farm system.

This is a moot point.

No matter how much and vocal some of the fans about being sellers.

This FO is not going to become sellers, it's not going to happen.

I think this may be right. Unless we go on a massive losing streak, we are just too close and the division is too open. On top of that, most of our expiring contracts are QO guys (Wieters, Davis, and Chen for sure, and at least a possibility for ODay) who could get a comp pick. That really gives you a double incentive to hold onto your guys, especially given that none of them are David Price types who could fetch a top prospect in return.

If I had to predict, we will tread water, maybe make a couple of small deals, like one of our Parmelee type role players for a fringe prospect, or vice versa.

I don't think we should be sellers unless we lose most of our next 8 or so games. This year is the last year of our "window", with Chen, Wieters and Davis likely all gone at the end of the year we should be playing this string out to see if we can get hot. With the additional wild card spot, all you need is to get a seat at the table.

I would take an Andy MacPhail approach with these guys - unless you're blown away by an offer you stand pat. The comp picks will be useful to restock the farm system.

Moving forward the offense will obviously be built around Jones/Machado/Schoop/Paredes. Joseph is a serviceable replacement for Wieters but getting similar 1B production will be tough. Hopefully we are able to have some money available to get a power bat in the corner OF. With the pitching, we have to hope one of the young guns proves to be an ace, but that seems unlikely with Harvey and Bundy at this point.

I get the logic behind being sellers, but I think we should try to cluster our talent as much as we can. We are at the end of one of those clusters so we should see what it can do.

What system did we get Matt, Manny, Schoop, Gausman, Britton from?

Okay, take Manny out of it, he is a generational talent, there want much prospect development there.

Wieners was drafted by the previous administration and again top tier talent.

Gausman has yet to prove anything.

Britton is a failed starter. Moving him to the bullpen, an action taken by the MLB coaching staff, has made him the player he is.

Schoop, again drafted by the previous administration has been developed fairly decently.

I don't think anyone would admit that the currently 29th ranked farm system inspires any part of the word success. I realize that a lot of that is because recent top draft picks have become injured, and that could have happened on any team, but I would still prefer the development systems of a lot of other teams over the Orioles at this point.

If we don't move some of these players for young players nearly ready for the majors, I fear what our roster will look like next year.

If we trade from what we have and go with the "2016 draft rebuild plan" I would fear what the roster will look like for the next few years. Maybe one of those players will have an impact on the major league roster before both Jones and Manny are gone.

I've been in sell mode... They'll all (well, not DOD) bring back a first round pick so that's the line. If trading them now returns value greater than that pick I'm all for it. I'd rather Joseph be playing over Wieters anyway.

Archived