What is the market for Davis, Wieters, Chen, and O'Day?

ChuckS

Okay, take Manny out of it, he is a generational talent, there want much prospect development there.

Wieners was drafted by the previous administration and again top tier talent.

Gausman has yet to prove anything.

Britton is a failed starter. Moving him to the bullpen, an action taken by the MLB coaching staff, has made him the player he is.

Schoop, again drafted by the previous administration has been developed fairly decently.

I don't think anyone would admit that the currently 29th ranked farm system inspires any part of the word success. I realize that a lot of that is because recent top draft picks have become injured, and that could have happened on any team, but I would still prefer the development systems of a lot of other teams over the Orioles at this point.

You made valid points, but it does take time to develop the players and work them up through the system.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, take Manny out of it, he is a generational talent, there want much prospect development there.

Wieners was drafted by the previous administration and again top tier talent.

Gausman has yet to prove anything.

Britton is a failed starter. Moving him to the bullpen, an action taken by the MLB coaching staff, has made him the player he is.

Schoop, again drafted by the previous administration has been developed fairly decently.

I don't think anyone would admit that the currently 29th ranked farm system inspires any part of the word success. I realize that a lot of that is because recent top draft picks have become injured, and that could have happened on any team, but I would still prefer the development systems of a lot of other teams over the Orioles at this point.

I think it is unfair to say that because BA ranks us as the 29th ranked farm system that we can't develop talent. We are seeing 3 factors as to why we are ranked so low. The first factor as you have stated are injuries. True, it could happen to any team, but it didn't happen to a lot of teams, especially highly ranked teams, it happened to us. Bundy and Harvey are likely top 25 prospects without injuries. Second factor is the past 3 years we have been buyers and we have sent some good prospects on their way to acquire ML talent. Given that do we get to take credit for the development of EdRod, Hader, Hoes, and others that we traded. Third, we have some really talented players under the age of 26 playing for our ML club. Machado, Schoop, Gausman...if you looked at organizations from the perspective of all players 25 and under we would be ranked higher than 29 and our development system looks a lot better.

If we trade from what we have and go with the "2016 draft rebuild plan" I would fear what the roster will look like for the next few years. Maybe one of those players will have an impact on the major league roster before both Jones and Manny are gone.

I don't think we'll be sellers unless it's clear we are out of the wild card race.

That said, we could trade our most valuable soon-to-be free agents for young, cost-controlled ready or near-ready major leaguers and then sign a couple of free agents for the outfield in the off-season. They might cost us two of our 7 picks in the top 75 of next year's draft, but the team could be in fine shape, as we would still have Jones, Machado, Hardy, Schoop, Joseph, Tillman, Jiminez, Gonzalez, Gausman, Roe, Brach, Givens, and Britton.

This could enable us to restock the farm and compete for the next few years.

I think it is unfair to say that because BA ranks us as the 29th ranked farm system that we can't develop talent. We are seeing 3 factors as to why we are ranked so low. The first factor as you have stated are injuries. True, it could happen to any team, but it didn't happen to a lot of teams, especially highly ranked teams, it happened to us. Bundy and Harvey are likely top 25 prospects without injuries. Second factor is the past 3 years we have been buyers and we have sent some good prospects on their way to acquire ML talent. Given that do we get to take credit for the development of EdRod, Hader, Hoes, and others that we traded. Third, we have some really talented players under the age of 26 playing for our ML club. Machado, Schoop, Gausman...if you looked at organizations from the perspective of all players 25 and under we would be ranked higher than 29 and our development system looks a lot better.

Some good points. Let me clarify by saying that I see our upper level talent as being extremely thin and I would rather see the team pack it in this year and trade for some contributors in the next two years rather than go for it and count on a 7 player 1st and 2nd round 2016 draft to restock for contention. I think going for it greatly reduces the teams ability to compete in the next 3 years. I could be wrong, but I don't see Alvarez and Walker and real impact players on offense and there is little to be expected from free agency.

Some good points. Let me clarify by saying that I see our upper level talent as being extremely thin and I would rather see the team pack it in this year and trade for some contributors in the next two years rather than go for it and count on a 7 player 1st and 2nd round 2016 draft to restock for contention. I think going for it greatly reduces the teams ability to compete in the next 3 years. I could be wrong, but I don't see Alvarez and Walker and real impact players on offense and there is little to be expected from free agency.

Interesting, over the past 24 hours I have become convinced that we should stand pat - off QOs to Weiters, Chen, Davis and O'Day. O'Day likely takes the offer and hopefully we can sign him to contract (Wildcard's thoughts, which I agree with). If we stand pat we are looking at about $25-28 million after arbitration to spend. This would give us compensation picks - we get to keep the mid-tier prospects that we won't trade and hopefully some of our better prospects get on the mend. Then I would spend most of the $25 million on an impact bat in free agency (Justin Upton). I would also go to camp next year with our rotation being: Tillman, Gonzalez, Jimenez, Gausman and one of Wright, Wilson (I think he is the guy), or Davies.

Who do you think we could realistically get? If I am willing to trade one of my top prospects, I am going to go after Price or Cueto not Chen. Aroldis Chapman, not O'Day. Upton, not Davis. We are looking at EdRod type prospects at best. We can probably do as good or better by keeping our comp picks.

Interesting, over the past 24 hours I have become convinced that we should stand pat - off QOs to Weiters, Chen, Davis and O'Day. O'Day likely takes the offer and hopefully we can sign him to contract (Wildcard's thoughts, which I agree with). If we stand pat we are looking at about $25-28 million after arbitration to spend. This would give us compensation picks - we get to keep the mid-tier prospects that we won't trade and hopefully some of our better prospects get on the mend. Then I would spend most of the $25 million on an impact bat in free agency (Justin Upton). I would also go to camp next year with our rotation being: Tillman, Gonzalez, Jimenez, Gausman and one of Wright, Wilson (I think he is the guy), or Davies.

This seems about right to me.

I'm really kind of torn on this. I just don't have the feeling that this team can turn it around. But, as others have pointed out, our record is right around where KC was this time last year. Can we make a move or two that can infuse this team with a spark?

I feel the same. I don't want them to just give up but I can understand wanting

DD to be sellers.

I feel the same. I don't want them to just give up but I can understand wanting

DD to be sellers.

I guess you have to weigh what you would get now, against the competitive draft pick.

Buck pretty much said, they were going to play the season out and not become sellers.

So you're saying that some combination of the Orioles' players with expiring contracts could net us a guy with a 4.79 ERA his second year in AA ball?

Yes. So far as I know trade targets are determined by minor league ERA. Let's stop pretending like Rodriguez was broken when he was sold. You don't have to and it just looks silly.

If there is an offer reasonably better than the comp pick they'll generate, I'm dealing any and all of them. Well maybe not O'Day.

Hunter, Matusz, Wieters, Davis, Chen, and well... if you want to chuckle... Norris.

Is that realistic? Would you trade a draft pick for a rental of any of those guys?

Is that realistic? Would you trade a draft pick for a rental of any of those guys?

I think Chen would fetch a very strong prospect. It's just a shame that dealing him -- more than any other FA -- would essentially concede our season. Had Norris pitched better this year, I think we could have absorbed losing Chen at the deadline, but there's no way we can do that now. With Norris pitching extremely poorly, Chen is going to be absolutely necessary for the Orioles to make the playoffs this year.

Yes. So far as I know trade targets are determined by minor league ERA. Let's stop pretending like Rodriguez was broken when he was sold. You don't have to and it just looks silly.

It looks silly to say Ed Rod was pitching just fine.

He was up and down, and for the most part, us lay fans didnt feel he would get promoted to AAA.

He was giving up a lot of earned runs in not that many innings.

In June, the opposing team was hitting .307 off him.

You need to post a full scouting report of Rodriguez from just before the trade so I can link to something more substantial and stop looking silly. I hate looking silly.

I think Chen would fetch a very strong prospect. It's just a shame that dealing him -- more than any other FA -- would essentially concede our season. Had Norris pitched better this year, I think we could have absorbed losing Chen at the deadline, but there's no way we can do that now. With Norris pitching extremely poorly, Chen is going to be absolutely necessary for the Orioles to make the playoffs this year.

I would like to try to sign Chen. Otherwise, who is your fifth starter at the beginning of next season after Tillman, Gonzo, Gausman and Ubaldo? There will be plenty of competition for Chen, but it will be the same for any established starter. And I think it would be helpful to have a lefty in the rotation.

I can't imagine that a Wieters rental would bring back much value. Who wants to give up a lot for a catcher who can catch only every other day and isn't hitting much?

Archived