What is the market for Davis, Wieters, Chen, and O'Day?

ChuckS

I would like to try to sign Chen. Otherwise, who is your fifth starter at the beginning of next season after Tillman, Gonzo, Gausman and Ubaldo? There will be plenty of competition for Chen, but it will be the same for any established starter. And I think it would be helpful to have a lefty in the rotation.

I can't imagine that a Wieters rental would bring back much value. Who wants to give up a lot for a catcher who can catch only every other day and isn't hitting much?

I'm sure DD will find someone to sign within the salary requirements. Chen is out of the teams price range, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go 3/36 on Chen. Someone else will give him a fourth year though.

I'm fine with going into next season with a rotation of Jiminez, Tillman, Gonzalez, Gausman, and (insert cheap vet here) with Davies ready to step in if/when cheap vet or Gausman doesn't get the job done.

More concerned with getting some legit non-journeyman bats for the OF and 1B.

There is no reason not to trade O'Day if the O's can't turn this sorry ship around and start scoring some runs in the next week. He's not getting a QO, and he's very good. You can get a real prospect for him, and if you really want to you can resign him over the offseason without having to give up a draft pick.

Of the other pending free agents, Chen and Davis are the most likely to bring back something more valuable than the draft pick. Chen is a better pitcher than Davis is a hitter, but there are more arms than bats available on the market.

I've said it elsewhere, but I'm very concerned that Dan would be tempted to pursue low-ceiling prospects who are major league ready, given the need to plug holes for next season.

It looks silly to say Ed Rod was pitching just fine.

He was up and down, and for the most part, us lay fans didnt feel he would get promoted to AAA.

He was giving up a lot of earned runs in not that many innings.

In June, the opposing team was hitting .307 off him.

He was "okay" with room for additional growth. Never was, still is not, a front-end guy. Likely #4? Outside shot at #3? Sure.

Thanks. Now I can stop using silly phrases like "guy falling down prospect lists because he's struggling through his second stint in AA with a 4.79 ERA", and replace it with the much more solid "fringe-average command, rough around the edges, likely to slot as a 4/5 starter in the majors."

Someone talk to me about the draft picks we would get by losing these guys in the offseason, so we know the baseline of value that we'd need to be getting back.

I'm talking draft position, and, if possible, average value of that pick.

Someone talk to me about the draft picks we would get by losing these guys in the offseason, so we know the baseline of value that we'd need to be getting back.

I'm talking draft position, and, if possible, average value of that pick.

I am on the "trade the impending FAs" side of things but one benefit of holding on to them for the picks that this post brought up is that the draft picks would drastically improve the Orioles draft pool, allowing them to sign an over slot talent similar to Daz Cameron this year.

I am on the "trade the impending FAs" side of things but one benefit of holding on to them for the picks that this post brought up is that the draft picks would drastically improve the Orioles draft pool, allowing them to sign an over slot talent similar to Daz Cameron this year.

This is the right answer, I think. Picks need to be looked at as more than just a static standalone value number.

Thanks. Now I can stop using silly phrases like "guy falling down prospect lists because he's struggling through his second stint in AA with a 4.79 ERA", and replace it with the much more solid "fringe-average command, rough around the edges, likely to slot as a 4/5 starter in the majors."

Well, I'd say anything that avoids using minor league ERA as a tool for measuring value (incredibly while being smarmy about it) is a step in the right direction. You do seem to love your ERA arguments lately for some reason. Anyway, keep up the good work...

I like Weiters and hope we can sign him for a few more years, but around the league is he looked at as anything more than just a guy? In the off season, MLB tv was ranking all catchers and Weiters was around 20th. I don't know why a contender would want to rent him for this season, and I don't know why people think he is gonna get a mega contract from another team in the off-season. What kind of contract do you guys think he'll realistically be offered?

You have to be kidding. ERod was struggling last year. Tim Berry has been a disaster this year.

Berry has been a disaster.

Ed Rod started out pretty bad, too.

First 8 starts, gave up 4 runs in 5 innings 3 times, 6 runs in 3 innings, and gave up 5 runs in 5 innings.

Not exactly stellar pitching efforts.

Archived