DRAFT CHAT v.2

Welcome everyone. Tonight we are going to treat this thread as an open chat, regarding the upcoming Amateur Draft this June. I and other knowledgeable posters will be on hand to take questions, respond to comments, and offer an early views/opinions on the youngsters to look for as the Orioles head into an exciting time in team history: an honest-to-goodness fullscale Rebuild! First comes the rebuild, then the rebirth.

I'm starting a few minutes early... So let's have some fun. :)

One of the recurring questions has centered around the potential availability of a MI in round 2... it's a very possible scenario with a few worthy possibilities being there when we pick. I'll post throughout the evening about some of the candidates...

Brandon Crawford, SS, UCLA... while I doubt he'll be there when our pick in round 2 is up he has a great deal of upside. He's off to a solid start to the '08 season and may be a late first rounder at this junction. Crawford offers a lot of tools, but may have to move to 2B.

Any falling talent (ie Arieta, Bascom) that the O's could look at picking up??

It's a bit early at this juncture to determine that, although all the typical mentions of Scott Boras clients will make their rounds. There is always hope that a guy like Hosmer or Gerrit Cole tumbles, although I doubt it.

While not related necessarily to who may tumble, 16-17 year old SS prospect Edward Salcedo has still not signed with Cleveland, NYY, or any other potential ML suitor. The multi-tooled Boras client is drawing attention for his formidable talents as well as his potential International record bonus demands.

Could the O's shock everyone and make a splash there? :eek:

What talent is projected to be available for the Os 2nd and 3rd round picks

That's a tough question to guess at this early, however...

There are some good bats that could still be around come our second round pick. Alan Dykstra, a slugging 1B from Wake Forest, and possibly Arizona State slugger/1B'man Brett Wallace as well. In the High School ranks, Cutter Dykstra, a 2B with defensive position issues plays a lot like his dad; former All-Star ML'er 'Lenny'. The kid gets on base, runs like the wind and has good pop.

On the pitcher spectrum, there are many to consider...

In College, Mississippi hard tossers Lance Lynn or Cody Satterwhite could be available, as well as Kentucky's 6' 8 240 power pitcher Scott Green. The HS'ers may offer serious upside in lefties Nick Maronde and Scott Silverstein (from St. John's in DC) or possibly hard throwing righty Daniel Webb out of a surprisingly strong 'High Schools in Kentucky' class.

Another player that hasn't garnered alot of mention that may still be on the board in round 2 is Vandy's 6'3 205 shortstop Ryan "Flash" Flaherty. While not a gifted base stealer, he runs okay, but regardless... this kid can flat out play. He is a gamer, big game performer, outstanding defender at short, and has enough skills offensively to project as a slick fielding, strong armed .290 BA/ .370 OBP/ .450 SLG / .820 OPS big leaguer, with 12-15 HR's to boot, if not more. Overall that's fine by me. :)

Archived