Comp B Lottery 2 PM EDT

weams

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost in this translation is the the Orioles again shared revenue. Here is a viewpoint.

When you buy a ticket to a New York Yankees game ( or any other big market team), you don’t do it to support any small market team.

It doesn’t matter what it says on the back of the ticket in small print, you’re a Yankees fan. You probably just don’t care whether the Rays make the playoffs. You spend your money to support the Yankees. Taking your money and giving it to other teams is nothing short of highway robbery.

Okay, the revenue sharing primarily has to do with advertising revenue. But it’s all related. A fan sees a commercial about a team, or about a business that supports the team, and it encourages him to see a game or go to that business and spend his money.

And according to Business Journal, The Yankees are not the only team that is benefiting from a lucrative television deal. The Dodgers signed a television deal that was worth between seven and eight billion dollars. The Rangers, Angels Mariners, Padres and Phillies also reportedly inked multi-billion dollar television agreements. They earned these through strong fan support. [related category]

Any way you look at it, the conclusion is clear. A small market city that has a full stadium when the team is winning, but a near empty stadium when it is losing, does not deserve to have a team. Why should it be subsidized?

http://fansided.com/2015/01/07/major-league-baseball-revenue-sharing-going-away/

My guess as to why the Orioles were in it previously but are not this year, is that they were one of the 10 lowest revenue teams at the time and are no longer one of the 10 lowest revenue teams. Unless they changed how market size is measured, it is unlikely that their market size ranking would have changed. I imagine lowest revenue teams rankings are more fluid, and playoff success bumped the Orioles out of the bottom 10. Still, it seems that the Orioles should have the Cardinals spot as the 10th smallest market.

I think that's right as an explanation of how we were in Round A last year but not this year. But I still don't understand how Baltimore isn't among the ten smallest markets.

By the way, according to the lists I've seen, the tenth smallest market is either Denver or Cleveland. St. Louis is seventh or eighth smallest, Baltimore fifth smallest.

Lost in this translation is the the Orioles again shared revenue. Here is a viewpoint.

http://fansided.com/2015/01/07/major-league-baseball-revenue-sharing-going-away/

This is the dumbest argument I've ever seen. First of all, you're buying a ticket to see a baseball game, not as an act of charity. Second of all, making lots of money off advertising isn't a result of anything but being located in a major population center. Third of all, the Yankees couldn't draw flies when they were terrible in the early 90s. Clearly, they don't deserve a team.

Archived