Why I won't miss our departing FAs very much

FanSince88

If Wieters/Davis/Chen/O'Day/et al can't get us to the playoffs this year, what reason do we have to believe that they could get us there next year? We have to look to the future and open another window with Machado, Gausman, and Schoop as our core.

Whether it's the comp picks or a trade, I'm ready to see the O's part with these guys, take the value that they return and hopefully groom it PROPERLY, and move on as an organization.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Wieters accepts a QO unless he really heats up over the final two months. I'm also skeptical of how much trade value a .700 OPS catcher that hasn't proven he can play everyday has.

You can't call Schoop part of our core yet and you definitely can't call Gausman that, although they have the potential to be. I'm tempted to trade Gausman while other teams still believe he can make it as a starter.

Chen can't pitch every other day, would have been nice for him to attempt to do so with Norris stinking it up with Tillman in the first half. Davis has been ok. O'Day is one of the best relievers in baseball. Don't see how they are hurting the team. Well Wieters, he isn't that good.

So the upcoming free agents are supposed to take the O's to the playoffs? What about the mess the O's have been facing from the corner outfield spots for most of the season? How about Tillman & Norris in the first half? How about the 9 for 100 with risp or whatever it was?

I think Wieters accepts a QO unless he really heats up over the final two months.

Scott Boras would beat Wieters to death slowly with a Nerf bat before he would let him accept a QO. If Wieters accepted one and got re-injured next year, it could jeopardize any kind of serious payday. O'Day might take one, but Wieters, Chen and Davis won't.

I think Wieters accepts a QO unless he really heats up over the final two months. I'm also skeptical of how much trade value a .700 OPS catcher that hasn't proven he can play everyday has.

You can't call Schoop part of our core yet and you definitely can't call Gausman that, although they have the potential to be. I'm tempted to trade Gausman while other teams still believe he can make it as a starter.

No player has ever accepted a QO...34 players, 34 offers, 34 nos. Matt won't be the first to take a QO.

We have to look to the future and open another window with Machado, Gausman, and Schoop as our core.

All this love and fascination with Gausman is crazy at this point. My expectations for the future are way higher than what he's shown so far. If he comes around great, but Im not counting on it.

If Wieters/Davis/Chen/O'Day/et al can't get us to the playoffs this year, what reason do we have to believe that they could get us there next year?

This logic seems busted in a thousand ways. A bunch of teams have won the world series and missed the playoffs the year before or after with the same core of guys.

Us missing the playoffs is not some scarlet letter against these guys. Everybody take a deep breath.

No player has ever accepted a QO...34 players, 34 offers, 34 nos. Matt won't be the first to take a QO.

The QO was never 17 million either, like it is now.

With the fiasco last season, I suspect somebody will finally take the QO, however, chances are pretty good, that it wont be Matt.

This logic seems busted in a thousand ways. A bunch of teams have won the world series and missed the playoffs the year before or after with the same core of guys.

Us missing the playoffs is not some scarlet letter against these guys. Everybody take a deep breath.

This teams to be on a every other year plan.

Scott Boras would beat Wieters to death slowly with a Nerf bat before he would let him accept a QO. If Wieters accepted one and got re-injured next year, it could jeopardize any kind of serious payday. O'Day might take one, but Wieters, Chen and Davis won't.

Period.

Every year is different. Most of the players you mentioned were key contributors to the 2014 AL East champs, and some contributed to the 2012 playoff team. 2015 says no more about 2016 than 2013 said about 2014.

That said, I think we know that most if not all of the FA's will be gone. I'll miss many of them, and I hope the other players we acquire or promote will be able to do as well or better.

I'll miss them. By and large these guys have over achieved and given us the first winning run this team has had in over a decade. They're a great bunch of guys that have represented the cities lunch pale image quite well. No real super stars just a group that performed better together then they did individually. Regardless of what happens this year they've been good.

If Wieters/Davis/Chen/O'Day/et al can't get us to the playoffs this year, what reason do we have to believe that they could get us there next year? We have to look to the future and open another window with Machado, Gausman, and Schoop as our core.

Whether it's the comp picks or a trade, I'm ready to see the O's part with these guys, take the value that they return and hopefully groom it PROPERLY, and move on as an organization.

They did get us to the playoffs last year. Short memory! I will certainly miss what they brought in 2012 and 2014.

That said, I don't think we should go out of our way to sign any of them, and I look forward to seeing what the organization will do moving forward.

Wieters of all people should take a deal for as many years as he can get. Any long term deal within reason he would be nuts to pass on, in my opionion.

I see no scenario where Wieters accepts a QO. He may want to go to Atlanta and that may be important to him, but he is an upgrade over a lot of catchers in the league and I still think that he gets a deal close to $100M.

Archived