Why I won't miss our departing FAs very much

FanSince88

I don't think Wieters' departure will hurt the team much. Caleb Joseph has been about as productive as Wieters this season, and it sounds like Clevenger has improved his defense to the point where he will be an adequate backup next year.

But losing Chen, O'Day and Davis are all going to hurt. All of them are productive players who are likely to be replaced by inferior players next season, whether in-house or cheap free agents.

I like Caleb but we have no idea how many games he can catch a year. I certainly don't trust Clevenger as much as you.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Caleb but we have no idea how many games he can catch a year. I certainly don't trust Clevenger as much as you.

We're kinda screwed on the catcher position next year, I don't think either of those guys are much of anything really. Too bad Sisco is some ways from coming up here

We're kinda screwed on the catcher position next year, I don't think either of those guys are much of anything really. Too bad Sisco is some ways from coming up here

The backup catcher spot will be a position that DD needs to address.

This logic seems busted in a thousand ways. A bunch of teams have won the world series and missed the playoffs the year before or after with the same core of guys.

Us missing the playoffs is not some scarlet letter against these guys. Everybody take a deep breath.

When some people take a deep breath it's only so they can complain louder. This has been a frustrating team in many respects, but I think the likelihood of the Orioles throwing in the towel in the next couple of weeks is about as great as Donald Trump taking a vow of silence. Even if you lose, the season is a lot more fun if you try to win. Seems pretty straitforward to me.

That's crazy talk. A lot of the experts who post here will make the compelling argument that strikeouts and poor plate discipline aren't a big deal. They will then accuse you of being stuck in the past. Just study fangraphs and read the boxscores instead of watching the games and you'll fit right in. Also, always remember that stats mean everything, just like how Chris Davis' meaningless solo homer in the 9th inning meant so much

What on earth are you talking about? What "experts" are in favor of poor plate discipline?

Striking out a lot is not the same thing as having poor plate discipline. Tons of hitters have both high strikeout totals and high walk totals, because they work deep into counts.

You can continue putting your fingers in your ears all you want, but strikeouts are not a big deal. Poor plate discipline is.

What on earth are you talking about? What "experts" are in favor of poor plate discipline?

Striking out a lot is not the same thing as having poor plate discipline. Tons of hitters have both high strikeout totals and high walk totals, because they work deep into counts.

You can continue putting your fingers in your ears all you want, but strikeouts are not a big deal. Poor plate discipline is.

None, but if he wasn't hyperbolizng he'd have to think.

Archived