This team needs a purge

Three Run Homer

They never slept through anything. They had a 125 million dollar budget. So you can rosterbate all you want. Bring it in at 120 and add no longer term albatross and you can complain all you like.

I think that Dan did what he thoght was right with the roster because of budget and long term deals however I think they could have made a few moves to help out. The one move that is urting this team the most IMO is the deal for Hardy. I think Buck may have been behind this the most as well wanting to get him singed and with questions about Manny's knees but J.J at 3 years 40 million was a bad move and will hurt us down the road.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at the years both Cruz and Miller are having. Kind of make me wonder "What if?".

46 million for a guy 35 years old. No way Nick is worth 44 million. IMO. DD had

to think of the future too. The Mariners will rue the day the gave Cruz that kind of

contract. IMO

It's not the bank so much - but the fact that poor decisions were made - we're seeing the results. As a matter of fact two - (yes two) plus pitching prospects where given up for Snider.

I wouldn't say "decisions that were made", it's more like decisions that were NOT made. Duq had one foot out the door, en route for Toronto, and then realized it wasn't going to happen, turned around and said "Oh Crap! I've got to sign someone, anyone!" And we're seeing the results.

I wouldn't say "decisions that were made", it's more like decisions that were NOT made. Duq had one foot out the door, en route for Toronto, and then realized it wasn't going to happen, turned around and said "Oh Crap! I've got to sign someone, anyone!" And we're seeing the results.

I think you are imagining what could have happened rather than analyzing what did. But your prerogative.

As others have said, a 120M payroll isn't really el cheapo. Could the money have been spent better? Looks like.

I have to agree here. Hindsight does give us that clarity. Even if some of you had proposed a different direction at the time that would have worked out. Seeing the future is every bit the crapshoot that the playoffs are.

I have to agree here. Hindsight does give us that clarity. Even if some of you had proposed a different direction at the time that would have worked out. Seeing the future is every bit the crapshoot that the playoffs are.

The truth is this is PA's mess and it started with how he handled DD's situation with Toronto. Idk how PA could keep a guy that wanted to leave AND trust the decisions DD was going to make. The handling of DD is typical of how PA has handled most things during his poorly performing ownership tenure.

That's not true, but does every thread need to instantly devolve into that discussion? I advocated for Cruz but I was over talking about it when the season started. I just don't see the point unless it is simply to whine.

Regarding the opening post, I have no issue with jettisoning any of those three players but I'd be surprised if it makes much of a difference. It is time to try plans C, D, E.... so why not? I certainly don't think we will regret losing any of the three later.

I agree, a purge might not make much of a difference in terms of winning this season--I'm not that high on Clevenger, Urrutia or Alvarez. But at least the organization would get a look at how these guys do against major league pitching for a couple of months, which could guide their decision-making over the offseason.

I think it's clear by now that Parmelee, Reimold and Snider should not be in the club's plans for next season.

This is a ridiculous statement to make, 120 million range, is not el cheapo.

It's not El Cheapo, but the Orioles could have gone overbudget just for 2015 to make a true run for it by at least re-signing Cruz. Then next year a lot of salary gets cleared with so many free agents coming off the books.

You have a point. But it's not going to happen. O's management isn't going to eat up all that payroll. Because if they did, they would have to admit how royally they screwed up for the 2015 season.

Yep

Shhhh, not allowed to complain around here about the El Cheapo offseason the O's slept through.

:agree: People get so bent out of shape instead of admitting the truth

They never slept through anything. They had a 125 million dollar budget. So you can rosterbate all you want. Bring it in at 120 and add no longer term albatross and you can complain all you like.

Who said the budget was $125 million? How low do you think the payroll will be next year when most of the guys walk? The extra $10-$20 million for one season won't seem like such a big deal if the payroll is in the $80-$90 million range next season. The Orioles screwed up in the offseason there is no other way to describe it.

Archived