What does Buck mean with this quote

TouchemAll

From Roch:

Showalter said he doesn't know what the rest of the division will do at the non-waiver deadline. It's not his concern.

"I have a pretty good idea what we're going to do and not do, but we can't sacrifice integrity of trying to compete long-term," he said. "We kind of know who we are and we know who we aren't, and that's important. That's something we've really be able to do the last four or five years, understand who we are and how we have to do it."

Himmm? Sellers?

From Roch:

Showalter said he doesn't know what the rest of the division will do at the non-waiver deadline. It's not his concern.

"I have a pretty good idea what we're going to do and not do, but we can't sacrifice integrity of trying to compete long-term," he said. "We kind of know who we are and we know who we aren't, and that's important. That's something we've really be able to do the last four or five years, understand who we are and how we have to do it."

Himmm? Sellers?

I'd say buyers but not big buyers. He just said on XM MLB that the Gausman trade stuff was horse pucky.

From Roch:

Himmm? Sellers?

My guess: Trying to pick up an OF on the cheap, not too interested in a rental.

Sounds to me like he isnt interested in trading away impact controllable players since the Orioles aren't the type of team to replace that production via free agency.

I don't think anything significant gets done one way or the other. In a perfect world it'd be a hands down easy decision but this middle ground is ugly. I know this is a ridiculous mindset but I would love to see what the farm system could look like after a Chen, Davis, Wieters, O'Day sale.

Sounds to me like he isnt interested in trading away impact controllable players since the Orioles aren't the type of team to replace that production via free agency.

I don't think anything significant gets done one way or the other. In a perfect world it'd be a hands down easy decision but this middle ground is ugly. I know this is a ridiculous mindset but I would love to see what the farm system could look like after a Chen, Davis, Wieters, O'Day sale.

While I believe Wieters will get big money in the off-season, I am skeptical that any team will give up much for a catcher who is only available to catch every other day.

Me too.

If we could get something comparable to O'Day comparable to what we got for Koji (Hunter and Davis), I would do that. Givens might not be ready to get the job done quite as wall as O'Day, but he would get it done.

While I believe Wieters will get big money in the off-season, I am skeptical that any team will give up much for a catcher who is only available to catch every other day.

Yeah, I don't disagree. It'd probably be better to just keep him for the draft pick.

If we could get something comparable to O'Day comparable to what we got for Koji (Hunter and Davis), I would do that. Givens might not be ready to get the job done quite as wall as O'Day, but he would get it done.

i think the Astros would be a good match to trade with. Chen and Davis for a couple of their prospects. It'd be awesome if we could get someone like Velasquez and Hader.

Yeah, I don't disagree. It'd probably be better to just keep him for the draft pick.

Careful with that. He might take the QO.

From Roch:

Himmm? Sellers?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

I'd say buyers but not big buyers. He just said on XM MLB that the Gausman trade stuff was horse pucky.

This. Buyers but nothing significant unless it's a multi-year piece. It's a smart front office and that is how I would expect a smart front office to operate. This is a wildcard team and you don't sell off significant future pieces for a chance to play a one-game play-in where anything can happen.

I think that is a huuuge assumption. Banking on a AA guy (who was a SS 2 years ago) with one MLB appearance under his belt to replicate the production of guy who's had an ERA of below 2.3 and decreased significantly each year since 2012

Im pretty sure not one of our Free Agents will be re- signed. I think the two with the best shot are Chen and O' Day. I don't think the Orioles will pay nearly enough to keep either of them.

I agree with Roy completely. Maybe Pearce. Maybe.

Archived