Trade Watch (It starts)

weams

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Exec on market: ?If you?ve got a hitter, you?ve got gold. If you?ve got a pitcher, you?ve got a hot potato.? Surplus of pitchers available.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">July 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like last offseason.

Which isn't the same as slashing payroll.

Also what was the final bill on their international spending?

I don't know re: international spending. Looks like they are transitioning to much lower payroll with gradual step-down. I don't think they are slashing payroll at expense of World Series run. But they are definitely putting pieces in place to bring payroll down in near future.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Exec on market: ?If you?ve got a hitter, you?ve got gold. If you?ve got a pitcher, you?ve got a hot potato.? Surplus of pitchers available.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">July 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like last offseason.

We have two bats: Davis and Wieters

We have two bats: Davis and Wieters

Davis yes. Wieters...... people keep saying this but he just isn't a good hitter. He was projected as Joe Mauer with Power. But frankly, he's a career .256 hitter with moderate power. He has never hit more than 23 home runs in a season. The only year in which he had an OPS north of .800 was last year.... a season in which he only played in 26 games.

If someone wants to give us some prospects for Wieters, we'd be foolish to say no. Maybe even more foolish than whatever team gives him a huge contract.

Davis yes. Wieters...... people keep saying this but he just isn't a good hitter. He was projected as Joe Mauer with Power. But frankly, he's a career .256 hitter with moderate power. He has never hit more than 23 home runs in a season. The only year in which he had an OPS north of .800 was last year.... a season in which he only played in 26 games.

If someone wants to give us some prospects for Wieters, we'd be foolish to say no. Maybe even more foolish than whatever team gives him a huge contract.

If the value of the prospects is less then that of the QO they should be getting then it would be foolish to say yes.

If the value of the prospects is less then that of the QO they should be getting then it would be foolish to say yes.

OK yes, I probably shouldn't have said just any ole prospects. The draft pick IS a big deal. But if we're getting real prospect(s) who are close to major league ready, then yes we'd be foolish. Frankly, once you get out of the top 10 picks or so, you're still essentially participating in a crapshoot when it comes to draft picks.

My overall point was that we shouldn't be coveting Wieters like he's some elite player. He's a good player.... a good player who IMO is HIGHLY overvalued. This was a point, admittedly, I made poorly in the OP.

OK yes, I probably shouldn't have said just any ole prospects. The draft pick IS a big deal. But if we're getting real prospect(s) who are close to major league ready, then yes we'd be foolish. Frankly, once you get out of the top 10 picks or so, you're still essentially participating in a crapshoot when it comes to draft picks.

My overall point was that we shouldn't be coveting Wieters like he's some elite player. He's a good player.... a good player who IMO is HIGHLY overvalued. This was a point, admittedly, I made poorly in the OP.

I am happy with the pick myself. I do not think he brings back significant late season value.

I completely agree. As do many. Good post sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am happy with the pick myself. I do not think he brigs back significant late season value.

The good news for a seller is that it only takes one team to think otherwise. And if two or three think otherwise, all the better.

Archived