Is there any legitimate reason for Mike Mussina to go into the HOF as a Yankee instead of an Oriole?

TINSTAAPP

Spent more years with the Orioles

Had better numbers with the Orioles (more wins, higher WAR, more Cy Young votes, lower ERA and WHIP, etc...)

Is unquestionably a top 10 Oriole of all-time, meanwhile Mussina was voted as the 50th greatest Yankee of all-time by ESPN NY

Had more career-defining and memorable moments with the Orioles (Beating Randy Johnson 2x in the 1997 ALDS, 15 strikeouts in 7 innings against the Indians in the 1997 ALDS)

And if Mussina goes into the HOF as an Oriole, would you want the Orioles to honor him? Typically, the Orioles have retired the jerseys and built statues for all of their HOFers. I don't know if the Orioles should go that far but maybe they can put a plaque out there for him like the Yankees do for their top retired players and managers at Monument Park. I don't know. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Mussina eventually gets inducted whenever that may be.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's already in the O's HOF, I think that's probably all he'll get. I don't see them retiring his number and there's no chance in hell he gets a statue.

I think Mussina will got into the Hall as an Oriole but I don't think it would be outrageous for him to go in as a Yankee.

If the case for multiple teams is close to being even I think they consider the player's preference.

I think Mussina's preference would count as a legitimate reason.

Total speculation but I would guess that Mussina would pick the Yankees.

I think he makes the HOF and goes in as an Oriole. But as far as the Orioles honoring him beyond him already being listed on the O's franchise HOF wall, I see him maybe making an appearance before an O's game and a brief ceremony. But permanently, I can't see him making the OPACY statue park, for example. Two things the statue park has in common are players who have all been a part of World Series teams AND with retired numbers. I don't see Moose being honored with either of those. I think he sort of falls into the category of someone like Luis Aparicio (with O's just 5 years and went in as a White Sox).

I think he is someone whose case is weaker then the numbers he produced.

No bling -- that's why it appears that way.

no IMHO

You can throw out Juan Marichal then. And any pitchers outside the top 30.

I don't see how he's not a Hall of Famer.

If there's room for Marichal, Robin Roberts and Fergie Jenkins then there's room for Mussina IMO.

Archived