Is there any legitimate reason for Mike Mussina to go into the HOF as a Yankee instead of an Oriole?

TINSTAAPP

If Mussina makes the hall of fame, the decision of whether to go into the hall as a Yankee or Oriole is his to make and really none of our business or concern.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that it is the Hall's decision to make. The player can, of course, let them know which team he prefers.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't Wade Boggs want to go in as a Devil Ray?
Before his retirement, Boggs was plagued by newspaper reports that the expansion Devil Rays gave him financial compensation in return for selecting a Devil Rays cap for his plaque at the Baseball Hall of Fame, though he has denied that any such condition was part of his contract.[28] In light of those reports (and other rumors that teams were offering number retirement, money, or organizational jobs in exchange for the cap designation) the Hall decided in 2001 to change its practice of deferring to players' wishes regarding cap logo selection, and reinforced the Hall's authority to determine with which cap the player would be depicted. Boggs is wearing a Boston cap on his plaque.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Boggs#Hall_of_Fame_plaque_cap_logo_controversy

Mussina has been persona non grata in Baltimore since 2001. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to work in baseball in his retirement but even if he did, it's not like he would feel welcome in Baltimore. Plenty of fans still hold a grudge.

Agreed. But I do think he was low-balled and NY pushed hard to get him (Jeter phoned him personally). So I'm not one of those who holds the grudge. But we agree otherwise.

Is there reason for the traitor not to go in as a Yankee? Who gives a crap?
I agree with your post, juvenile or not.

I guess Mussina should have taken less money to stay with us out of the goodness of his heart. I mean, look at the awesome Oriole teams he missed out on being a part of from 2001 to 2008.

1) Mussina is a no-doubt Hall of Famer and there's no good argument the other way that holds any water. Drungo already posted the relevant stats so I see no need to bother.

2) He was my favorite player during my childhood phase of fandom (yes, over Cal) and I was unhappy (to put it mildly) when he left for NYC. I remain undecided on blame for that, but either way I want him to be an O in the HoF.

3) Will he? I don't think it's 100% clear which way he would want it to go, and his preference is the only reason I can see him wearing an Evil Empire helmet.

One 20 win season.

No ring.

No Cy Young.

Never perceived as the best pitcher in the league.

Not charismatic.

Exactly -- no bling. No rings, no trophies (well, six gold gloves to be fair). Very much like Marichal.

For the stat heads... Mussina and Marichal have a similarity score of 866, which is surprisingly second on Mussina's list, as he doesn't have very many comparatively high scores.

There are only five players in Cooperstown who went in with the Orioles as their primary team. Each one of them has a statue and their number retired. I don't think Mussina is on the level of any of those 5 legends, but it would seem like a major public slight to recognize the others in that way without doing the same for Mussina.

You could make the argument that the statues are for HoFers who won a WS for us.

You could make the argument that the statues are for HoFers who won a WS for us.

Agreed; not every HOFer needs a statue. But it's not like I would want his vandalized if it were to be constructed. I used to love Mussina, then hate him, and now I've gotten over it.

More fun with Mussina and Marichal:

18 seasons, 14593 BF, 270-153 (.638), 123 ERA+, 1.192 WHIP, 3.59 K/BB, 9 top-10 CYA votes

16 seasons, 14236 BF, 243-142 (.631), 123 ERA+, 1.101 WHIP, 3.25 K/BB, 1 top-10 CYA vote, 3 top-10 MVP votes

That's not using any advanced metrics. Using those actually make Marichal look worse.

Archived