Is there any legitimate reason for Mike Mussina to go into the HOF as a Yankee instead of an Oriole?

TINSTAAPP

I guess Mussina should have taken less money to stay with us out of the goodness of his heart. I mean, look at the awesome Oriole teams he missed out on being a part of from 2001 to 2008.

Life is about more than money kid. As far as winning, the Yankees would have been worse and the Orioles better, so you never know.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Life is about more than money kid. As far as winning, the Yankees would have been worse and the Orioles better, so you never know.

I hated Mussina for leaving. But you know what, it might not be reasonable to demand loyalty to the point of forgoing money to stay with a sinking organization that you're only connected with because of a draft you had no control over.

I hated Mussina for leaving. But you know what, it might not be reasonable to demand loyalty to the point of forgoing money to stay with a sinking organization that you're only connected with because of a draft you had no control over.

A valid point, even if I hated seeing him wear pinstripes. And let's not forget that the Yankees made the postseason in 7 of his 8 seasons there. So I can't really blame him. But I do. It's complicated.

That was said much better than calling him a traitor.

More fun with Mussina and Marichal:

18 seasons, 14593 BF, 270-153 (.638), 123 ERA+, 1.192 WHIP, 3.59 K/BB, 9 top-10 CYA votes

16 seasons, 14236 BF, 243-142 (.631), 123 ERA+, 1.101 WHIP, 3.25 K/BB, 1 top-10 CYA vote, 3 top-10 MVP votes

That's not using any advanced metrics. Using those actually make Marichal look worse.

There was only one Cy Young award winner (no separate AL/NL) from 56-66. Through the 69 season writers could only write one name on the ballot. There was no second third fourth fifth like there is today. Actually it switched to only 3 names starting with the 70 season. Marichal would have appeared in many more CYA top tens if the voting was like today.

Marichal finished in the top 10 MVP voting 3 times. Mussina 0.

There was only one Cy Young award winner (no separate AL/NL) from 56-66. Through the 69 season writers could only write one name on the ballot. There was no second third fourth fifth like there is today. Actually it switched to only 3 names starting with the 70 season. Marichal would have appeared in many more CYA top tens if the voting was like today.

Marichal finished in the top 10 MVP voting 3 times. Mussina 0.

For much of Marichal's career there were 10 or fewer teams per league. So a top ten finish in anything basically just meant you were the best on your team.

Yeah, for a baseball player life is also about winning, which the Yankees happened to be much better at. Those Orioles teams weren't one Mike Mussina away from the playoffs.

Mussina wasn't an Orioles fan, why did he owe it to the team to take less money? Yeah, I was bummed that Mussina left for a division rival but I can't really hold it against him in retrospect.

He gave up a chance to have a legacy and to part of the solution. He took the easy route as a #3 starter with the Yankees. I will never respect Mu$$ina and I want him to have nothing to do with the Orioles. He still remains the only Oriole to ever be drafted, signed, developed and starred for the Orioles to leave as a free agent for the Yankees while still in his prime. For that, he will always and I mean always be a traitor to me. But then again, i think everyone in here knows my feelings on the guy.

He gave up a chance to have a legacy and to part of the solution. He took the easy route as a #3 starter with the Yankees. I will never respect Mu$$ina and I want him to have nothing to do with the Orioles. He still remains the only Oriole to ever be drafted, signed, developed and starred for the Orioles to leave as a free agent for the Yankees while still in his prime. For that, he will always and I mean always be a traitor to me. But then again, i think everyone in here knows my feelings on the guy.

I think he'll have a blank cap, but I've already outlined if there is a logo, it should be with the Orioles. The Orioles could have locked him up, and hedged, specifically ownership. Be that as it may, Orioles fans can hang him in effigy if they choose, however, a Yankees cap is the final indignity at all he accomplished in an Orioles uniform. The Yankees already have their own wing in that building.

Interestingly enough, Pinstripe Alley (Yankees fan site) believes Mussina will go in the HOF either as an Oriole or wearing a blank cap.

What modern player has gone in with a blank cap? I believe Mussina will get in the Hall of Fame eventually and go in as an Oriole. Mussina is lost in the crowd of all the Yankees world champions and HOF players. He would stand out as only the O's 6th HOF entry. I support the O's building him a statue if he goes in as an Oriole. Not as a Yankee of course, we've already got 1 too many Yankee statues (Ruth).

Archived