Allowing 3.65 runs per game since May 1

eddie83

Hard to believe isn't it? As inconsistent as this rotation at times can be and yet that is the number. In that time we are 36-38. I actually went back and broke down every month since 2011 in terms of runs scored and allowed.

Runs allowed per game 2015

April 5.2

May 3.59

June 3.64

July 3.76

Our starters ERA by month 2015

April 5.06

May 3.84

June 4.4

July 4.36 if my Math is correct-was 3.82 before yesterday

Relief ERA by month 2015

April 4.35

May 2.40

June 2.11

July 2.66 before yesterday

Worst offensive months since 2011-runs per game avg

May 2011 3.9

July 2012 3.73

July 2013 3.76

May 2014 3.9

May 2015. 3.28

July 2015 3.24

By far the two worst months this offense has had in the last 5 years have been this season. Right now the Orioles are 5-12 this month. The worst month since 2011 was a 7-20 month in July of 2011 when we scored 4.0 runs per game and allowed 6.7!! Since 2012 the worst month was this May at 13-16, prior to that it was 12-14 in August of 2013 a month where we did score 4.96 a month and allowed 4.42. Arizona series stands out that month along with a bunch of one run losses.

No question in a day and age of flawed teams it isn't a surprise to see some inconsistency. Some teams have a good rotation and no offense or vice versa. Some teams play poor defense. The bottom line is we don't have a rotation that is built to outpitch this kind of offense. Maybe only a couple of teams in the sport do. I do think that in this day and age when you allow the runs to score matter because of how good modern bullpens are. That being said our best month of 18-10 was a month when the starters had a 4.40 ERA.

Last year we had a wonderful season from the starting pitchers. That should be the goal every year and they don't get a free pass this season but you can't have this kind of offense and expect to win.

Scoring is down in 2015. The starting pitching still ranks 24th in the majors in ERA. 27th in innings pitchers and 24 in .OPS The bullpen is good and the starting pitching is below average.

2011 AL 4.46 runs per game

2012 AL. 4.45

2013 AL 4.33

2014 AL 4.18

2015 AL 4.22

I want to be clear, I am not saying that we shouldn't strive to have a better starting staff. Norris was awful and until lately Tilllman has had a poor season. I just think when you build a staff like ours that lacks a true ace and with the type of stuff they have you have to be realistic. The Yankees and Royals have had starting pitching issues as well and they are both in first place. We have had a stretch of 74 games letting up 3.65 runs per game and are 36-38.

We miss last year's Pearce

more than Cruz IMO.

He was big last year no doubt.

We have been entirely too streaky on offense. Scoring 5.6 runs a game in April, 5.29 in June and 3.28 in May and 3.24 this month.

Last year

April 4.5

May 3.9

June. 4.46

July 4.08

August 4.82

September 4.37

I do think the schedule plays a role for all teams in numbers like these but we haven't even made our west coast trip yet where it is usually tough to score.

2011 AL 4.46 runs per game

2012 AL. 4.45

2013 AL 4.33

2014 AL 4.18

2015 AL 4.22

I want to be clear, I am not saying that we shouldn't strive to have a better starting staff. Norris was awful and until lately Tilllman has had a poor season. I just think when you build a staff like ours that lacks a true ace and with the type of stuff they have you have to be realistic. The Yankees and Royals have had starting pitching issues as well and they are both in first place. We have had a stretch of 74 games letting up 3.65 runs per game and are 36-38.

Agreed. The 22- 25th teams with the highest starter ERA's are: Toronto,KC,Baltimore and Detroit. two or three of those teams might make the playoffs. The Orioles have hitting woes.

The hitting is killing us. No doubt about it. And I can't for the life of me figure out why we are struggling so much. The patience/OBP issue is clearly a part of it, but that doesn't fully explain it. The hitters are really inconsistent this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think patience/OBP is a big part of it. And when guys that don't have a great hitting approach all together slump at once, it's bad. Really bad.

I think patience/OBP is a big part of it. And when guys that don't have a great hitting approach all together slump at once, it's bad. Really bad.

Yeah, OBP helps protect against slumps. You'll still get on base some even when you're in a massive slump. Unfortunately, we don't have any OBP protection.. so when we slump, it's extremely bad. Our offense ends up being 1-3 runs a game, all solo shots.

Agreed. The 22- 25th teams with the highest starter ERA's are: Toronto,KC,Baltimore and Detroit. two or three of those teams might make the playoffs. The Orioles have hitting woes.

I don't think I would want to try to win like that consistently but it does say that there are different ways to put a playoff team together.

yup, it is really bad to watch right now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what happens when you depend on a bunch of AAAA players to be contributing regulars.

Duquette counted on one of Snider, Reimold, Parmalee, Young, etc overperforming and everyone underperformed.

It would be even uglier if Paredes didn't show up.

Agreed. Great post OP. I don't get why Clevenger hasn't been given a look at 1B or DH for this reason. He takes pitches and works the count. Right now he'd be the perfect number two hitter. Yesterday's game was just a microcosm of the whole season offensively. 4 hits. 3 HR's. 3 runs scored. No baserunners.

Agreed. Great post OP. I don't get why Clevenger hasn't been given a look at 1B or DH for this reason. He takes pitches and works the count. Right now he'd be the perfect number two hitter. Yesterday's game was just a microcosm of the whole season offensively. 4 hits. 3 HR's. 3 runs scored. No baserunners.

I think his .579 career OPS answers that question.

Clevenger, at his best, might be able to hit decently for a part-time catcher. Making him a 1B or DH would be madness.

I think his .579 career OPS answers that question.

Clevenger, at his best, might be able to hit decently for a part-time catcher. Making him a 1B or DH would be madness.

I think more is made of his .579 than should be. While I agree that making him a 1B or DH would be a mistake, the majority of his PAs in the majors were in 2012 in Chicago. He had a .626 OPS last year in 97 PAs. His .802 OPS in 250 PAs in Norfolk this year suggest he may be continuing to improve.

That said, I'm more worried about his defense at Catcher.

Frankly, I really hope that Clevenger is not our backup Catcher next year. Even if he is able to hit a mid-.600s OPS (his ceiling IMO).

Archived