Orioles are considering selling, per Morosi

paulcoates

It seems very unlikely that the O's will become sellers at the July 31st deadline for two reasons.

1) Peter Angelos would have to authorize Dan to sell and Peter does not give up that easy nor make decisions that fast. He will consider his obligation to the season ticket holders to put a major league team on the field for the rest of the season.

2) The O's have five games at home before the deadline. And the O's play very well at home. It will be hard for the O's management to sell if the O's are winning at the deadline.

That's the way I see it at this point.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was news I was dreading to hear.

It's a gut punch to know that the season is pretty much over.

MSK

I wouldn't at all be surprised if they move a player or two (say Chen and O'Day), and they go on a run of wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems very unlikely that the O's will become sellers at the July 31st deadline for two reasons.

1) Peter Angelos would have to authorize Dan to sell and Peter does not give up that easy nor make decisions that fast. He will consider his obligation to the season ticket holders to put a major league team on the field for the rest of the season.

2) The O's have five games at home before the deadline. And the O's play very well at home. It will be hard for the O's management to sell if the O's are winning at the deadline.

I get the feeling they will wait until the deadline to make a decision. DD will have his ducks in a row if they are going to sell, and they'll make the appropriate moves. I think the only thing that scares me is if we don't make moves, continue to lose, and a lot of other moves are made that prevent us from dealing anyone.

I get the feeling they will wait until the deadline to make a decision. DD will have his ducks in a row if they are going to sell, and they'll make the appropriate moves. I think the only thing that scares me is if we don't make moves, continue to lose, and a lot of other moves are made that prevent us from dealing anyone.

That would take Peter being a different guy than he is been for the last 20 years. He just doesn't move that fast.

The season ticket holders should understand that the endgame is making it back to the playoffs and winning the world series. Selling on Bedard and Koji probably were not popular at the time, but were absolutely crucial to our runs in 2012 and 2014. The fanbase would be in much worse shape now if those moves had never happened.

Wait... I would imagine this is what you'd want? Or do you think we still have a shot and should be buyers?

Despite the assumption that I'm "negative" I really only want the Orioles to win and contend. I deeply hoped for the team to somehow put it all together and go for a run, but DD and FO dropped the ball and it sucks to see things turn out this way.

Although it hurts now, selling would be a brilliant long-term solution to rebuilding and getting us back into the mix in 2016.

MSK

We need to win 5 of our next 7 before the deadline to convince me to buy. I think we should stay put or sell.

Despite the assumption that I'm "negative" I really only want the Orioles to win and contend. I deeply hoped for the team to somehow put it all together and go for a run, but DD and FO dropped the ball and it sucks to see things turn out this way.

Although it hurts now, selling would be a brilliant long-term solution to rebuilding and getting us back into the mix in 2016.

MSK

Well that's my point. I'm not really calling you out as "negative" but it's pretty obvious you aren't happy with the makeup of this team. I'd figure shaking things up and building for the future would make you happy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Think the time has come for club to weigh if return for some players now exceeds a draft pick next June. <a href="https://t.co/6FWAk5tUXh">https://t.co/6FWAk5tUXh</a></p>? Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">July 24, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Do you trust that source?

They have sold under Angelos before.

Anyway there have been no talks of some huge sell off, the names I have seen are folks that are not under contract past this season anyway (+ Britton).

I don't agree.

First off you would have to subtract the cost of the player and secondly if the team doesn't make the playoffs why assign value to the performance of a player? What good is the 1 win Davis might bring to a .500 team?

Sorry for not fully explaining what I thought was obvious... that the buying team obviously attaches value to the remainder of this season. To trade a player only for the value of the draft pick - that we will be receiving already without trading the player - would be nonsensical.

Archived