Orioles are considering selling, per Morosi

paulcoates

Are you suggesting that Duquette doesn't? What, they start talking Britton and he yells at them and hangs up? I don't understand why there's a constant undercurrent here that the GM simply won't listen to some subset of offers, and he's stupid for hypothetically doing this.

Did you read all the posts leading up those two?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Dan would not at least entertain an offer for Britton.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I brought him up in this thread because I think he can give us a bigger return and I don't see him here in 2017.

PA sold a crying Surhoff mid season. Bordick too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get real. The O's were 14 game under .500 when Bordick and Surhoff were traded in late July of 2000. The O's were 13 out and there was only one wild card slot. Both Surhoff and Bordick were 35 years old at the time.

On top that it was Hargrove's first year and he wasn't vested with any of those players. He was brought in to turnaround the franchise.

Not at all the situation that the O's are in now.

DD may have already laid out the options to Angelos. He could have gone over hypothetical situations and decision points and already received permission to make moves depending on the team's situation at a specific point in time. For example, what if we're over .500 and within 3 games of the division or wildcard at on July 28th. The decision may already have been made to try to add a corner outfielder for a stretch run.

Or, what if we're under .500 and 8 games out, or worse. The decision may already have been made to sell selected pieces like Hunter, Matusz, Pearce, Parmalee, Snider and Norris.

The only decision that is absolutely like to involve Angelos may be a trade of Wieters.

The season ticket holders should understand that the endgame is making it back to the playoffs and winning the world series. Selling on Bedard and Koji probably were not popular at the time, but were absolutely crucial to our runs in 2012 and 2014. The fanbase would be in much worse shape now if those moves had never happened.

This is a crucial point. Those trades were absolutely critical for the formation of this team that came awfully close to a World Series. You obviously have to hit in those types of trades to make it worthwhile (for example, we got tons of players, but little real impact, save some impact from Luke Scott, in the Tejada deal), but there is the potential to really set yourself up well if you acquire wisely.

This is a crucial point. Those trades were absolutely critical for the formation of this team that came awfully close to a World Series. You obviously have to hit in those types of trades to make it worthwhile (for example, we got tons of players, but little real impact, save some impact from Luke Scott, in the Tejada deal), but there is the potential to really set yourself up well if you acquire wisely.

There really is no ability to get anything of impact within three years back. It in not the elite mlb ready that get traded for any of our expired ilk.

There really is no ability to get anything of impact within three years back. It in not the elite mlb ready that get traded for any of our expired ilk.

I'm not expecting an Adam Jones in return, but calling these guys expired is a bit much to me. Although some on here have probably oversold these guys' worth, let's not undersell them.

For a team that's starved for power production, Chris Davis is on pace to hit north of 30 homers and OPS about .800. He certainly isn't without flaws, but power is a commodity, and there are plenty of teams that need more of it.

Chen is clearly having a career year, and some of his peripherals aren't great, but he's got a very good WHIP and a sub-3 ERA. For a team that thinks they are one good starter away, he could fetch a pretty good return.

And I know O'Day isn't as sexy as Miller, but he is one of the best relievers in baseball. That has value.

I agree that Wieters is probably overhyped at this point and may not have that much trade value.

Teams get excited, competition for few available pieces on the market rises, and someone may overpay at the trading deadline. Especially with so many buyers and so few sellers. Every year there are deals at the trading deadline that people say, "man, that team overpaid for that piece." I would not underestimate what we have and what we may get in return. Just my two cents...

I'm not expecting an Adam Jones in return, but calling these guys expired is a bit much to me. Although some on here have probably oversold these guys' worth, let's not undersell them.

For a team that's starved for power production, Chris Davis is on pace to hit north of 30 homers and OPS about .800. He certainly isn't without flaws, but power is a commodity, and there are plenty of teams that need more of it.

Chen is clearly having a career year, and some of his peripherals aren't great, but he's got a very good WHIP and a sub-3 ERA. For a team that thinks they are one good starter away, he could fetch a pretty good return.

And I know O'Day isn't as sexy as Miller, but he is one of the best relievers in baseball. That has value.

I agree that Wieters is probably overhyped at this point and may not have that much trade value.

Teams get excited, competition for few available pieces on the market rises, and someone may overpay at the trading deadline. Especially with so many buyers and so few sellers. Every year there are deals at the trading deadline that people say, "man, that team overpaid for that piece." I would not underestimate what we have and what we may get in return. Just my two cents...

By expired, I mean with no team control beyond 2015.

You are not getting players that are not in the league that will have 2016 impact back. You are just not.

If we are indeed selling, I'd listen to offers for Britton. He'd probably bring back more of a return that out FA-to-be's. And how likely would we pay his market rate in 2017?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This times a thousand!

This is the forward type thinking that we refused to do last winter

when Bud Norris was at his high selling point.

This times a thousand!

This is the forward type thinking that we refused to do last winter

when Bud Norris was at his high selling point.

We don't know that.

Wasn't much of a market for pitchers last off-season.

My guess is that Dan tried to move a couple of different guys to open up a slot for Gausman.

I'm sure coming off a career year we wouldn't have been happy if he had been traded as little more then a salary dump.

You are not getting players that are not in the league that will have 2016 impact back. You are just not.

Misread you on the expired part....makes sense, my bad.

Agree to disagree, a bit, on your latter point - I kind of see this as a "never say never" thing. Maybe we shouldn't get that type of value back, but teams overpay every deadline. (See, arguably: Orioles, Baltimore in 2014.)

I'm not overly concerned, frankly, about getting guys back that can for sure help us in 2016. If we can get good players back that have strong prospects of boosting our organization over the longer term, I'm happy with that. Some of the money that comes off the books with salaries this year can hopefully be invested wisely this offseason in some pieces that will be able to bridge the gap until those acquisitions (and some of our existing talent) can blossom.

Not to say I'm 100% sold that we're out of it at this point; just saying that if we decide we are out of it, we shouldn't just hunker down and take our comp picks. I think there's better value out there to be had.

I think we disagree on this point, but that's what this kind of place is for; hopefully, the club miraculously snaps out of its funk and makes this conversation moot.

Kenny (who tops out at 5'3") Rosenthal's mini-me Morosi...

<blockquote class="twitter-video" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Should the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> look to trade Matt Wieters or Chris Davis? <a href="https://twitter.com/DTrainMLB">@DTrainMLB</a> says ABSOLUTELY NOT

via <a href="https://twitter.com/AmericasPregame">@AmericasPregame</a>

<a href="http://t.co/lLyw0iVoMV">http://t.co/lLyw0iVoMV</a></p>— FOX Sports 1 (@FOXSports1) <a href="

">July 24, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would love to see us trade off Wieters, Chen, O'Day, Davis and Norris. Fire sale time.

My only reservation is that Dan doesn't seem to be a great trade guy. He seems like an incredibly savvy acquisition/scouting guy, and a good FA guy... but not a great trade guy. I could be wrong about this...

I would love to see us trade off Wieters, Chen, O'Day, Davis and Norris. Fire sale time.

My only reservation is that Dan doesn't seem to be a great trade guy. He seems like an incredibly savvy acquisition/scouting guy, and a good FA guy... but not a great trade guy. I could be wrong about this...

A fire sale would be trading off folks like Jones and Machado.

The guys you mentioned are only under team control for a couple more months.

Archived