OFFNY

I see you type that, but yet I don't see you really celebrate much when your whipping boys get hits. The other night you ripped Paredes, Wieters, and Hardy early in the game. Those three guys all got hits to score 2 runs and tie up the game and I saw not one single word about any of them. They get whipped like hell when they fail though, over and over.

I don't think you're nearly as even handed as you think you are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The "game thread mentality". For some reason, pessimism dominates over optimism. When a pitcher has a bad first inning, there are dozens o posts about how awful he is, how he's going to be blasted tonight, etc. Sometimes he sucks all night, sometimes he winds up having a good game despite the bad first inning.

When a pitcher has a GOOD first inning there are a FEW positive comments but not nearly as many negative ones if he is bad. And the wild extrapolation that accompanies one bad inning (" he doesn't have it tonight", "get the bullpen up now Buck", " he's not a major league pitcher") -- you never see the equivalent wild out of control positive extrapolation about how great he is after a good inning. For some reason its a 1 way street, and the pessimists dominate.

It is what it is.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watching Paredes is like watching the Titanic sink. Now under .300 which he will never see again. The next 30 games will be him heading to .230 range and we get little from him again this season.

Wow, that could be a rather premature prediction.

We've had some excellent success swinging at the first pitch tonight, including our only run. If you think you've got a pitch to hit, i say go for it.

People make so much about seeing pitches. But with some guys that just puts you 0-2 all night. Some guys you have to go up there hacking. Usually more against the better pitchers than the bad.

The "game thread mentality". For some reason, pessimism dominates over optimism. When a pitcher has a bad first inning, there are dozens o posts about how awful he is, how he's going to be blasted tonight, etc. Sometimes he sucks all night, sometimes he winds up having a good game despite the bad first inning.

When a pitcher has a GOOD first inning there are a FEW positive comments but not nearly as many negative ones if he is bad. And the wild extrapolation that accompanies one bad inning (" he doesn't have it tonight", "get the bullpen up now Buck", " he's not a major league pitcher") -- you never see the equivalent wild out of control positive extrapolation about how great he is after a good inning. For some reason its a 1 way street, and the pessimists dominate.

It is what it is.

When I first started participating in game threads about a decade ago, my memory is that it wasn't this negative. I would say it's not inherent to the nature of game threads, but a shift in what type of personality posts. But it's not as bad as 2-3 years ago. Seeing someone like Jonesy10 transform out of almost complete pessimism has actually been refreshing.

Archived