Compensation picks are not a quick fix

wildcard

Even if they have a significantly lower ceiling?

Maybe not significantly, but I'd take a little lower ceiling. Thing is with Supplemental picks, we really don't know what kinda ceiling they have. They could be career minor leaguers or turn into stars. The draft is just so random. But when you get guys with a few years of minor league experience you know more about them and they are safer, even if they're not star talents.

Maybe not significantly, but I'd take a little lower ceiling. Thing is with Supplemental picks, we really don't know what kinda ceiling they have. They could be career minor leaguers or turn into stars. The draft is just so random. But when you get guys with a few years of minor league experience you know more about them and they are safer, even if they're not star talents.

They have significantly lower ceiling by the time they are AA or AAA. No way you get potential superstars for anyone other than Manny that we can trade.

Two good things about trading for guys already in the minors:

1) You can see how they've taken to playing professional ball

2) You get them almost a year earlier (now, as opposed to next June/July)

OTOH, the pool money might let you spend a little more in other rounds than you usually would.

They have significantly lower ceiling by the time they are AA or AAA. No way you get potential superstars for anyone other than Manny that we can trade.

You could hit the E-Rod lottery with someone like Chen.

Of course I don't think the odds are better there then the chance of hitting the Adam Jones lottery in the draft (37th pick).

What happens if we QO Wieters, Davis and Chen and then we sign a couple of QO'd free agents from other teams? Before, when we signed Jimenez and Cruz, we lost our 1st and 2nd rounders. Is that still what happens if we lost some QO free agents of our own? If so, I can envision a scenario where this really isn't the draft pick bonanza everyone thinks it is.

What happens if we QO Wieters, Davis and Chen and then we sign a couple of QO'd free agents from other teams? Before, when we signed Jimenez and Cruz, we lost our 1st and 2nd rounders. Is that still what happens if we lost some QO free agents of our own? If so, I can envision a scenario where this really isn't the draft pick bonanza everyone thinks it is.

Yes, comp picks are included in the picks you give up for signing protected free agents.

A sure fire fix is to sign no pick encumbered FAs. I'd be in for that. Also, if you do sign one, it is best to have more so that you still have some. Instead of drafting in the third round for the first time. And screwing up your fourth rounder to try to overcompensate.

Poor strategy.

I think most smart fans realized this long ago and that is why they are frustrated that we aren't exploring trades more aggressively.

My question is this: how much have we seen of DD in trade for prospect mode ?

He keeps things close to the vest.

Archived