Chen's attitude today

johnnyb

He needs to hang out with Cal and get some pointers on how to spend 20+ years as a star in MLB without ever having said anything memorable. Cal's response to being taken out in this situation, and every situation, would have been "I'm out there giving 110% and trust Buck to do what's right. The boys and I will go get 'em tomorrow."

"Sorry, Brooksie."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't this all speculation?

Of course it is. Anything other than bland acceptance will be treated as an affront by some fans. If you pull a Bedard and ask to come out when you're gassed you are accused of not have any real competitive fire. If you're pissed when you're taken out like Chen you're accused of showing up the manager. The only way to avoid criticism is to be perfectly stoic and only answer questions with stock clich?s.

Chen is a competitor and really said nothing wrong. IMO he's a winner and winners want the ball. I'm sure that Buck understands this quality and appreciates it. This is something that everyone who has ever played organized sports understands.

I'm just happy Chen speaks English. :)

Fwiw, Tillman looked very upset his last game when getting taken out after an 8th inning walk. He even muffed the handoff of the ball to Buck - but quickly picked it up. He looked furious in the dugout watching O'Day blow the save and the game. Hey, I'm glad we have starting pitchers who want to stay in the game and pitch 9. It's called being a competitor.

I for one think we should be more concerned as to who will replace him next season as clearly this year he has been our #1 starter despite having terrible run support.

He won't be replaced, but we will be missed. Maybe they will get a comp. pick that will one day develop into a pitcher of the caliber of Chen and then they can ride the barely min. salary starter train for a few years again. Wait, did I say develop? Nevemind.

Archived