Elier Leyva Fails to Touch the Plate on HR, Shorebirds Lose Would-Be Walkoff

Aristotelian

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• While it wasn’t his best outing, I was glad to see Kremer hang in there for 5+ innings and give the O’s a chance to win, after Lyles and Bradish both seemed to show after-effects of their previous long outings.   The HR that Verdugo hit into the first row by the Pesky pole was about as cheap a homer as you’ll ever see.   Literally a HR in Fenway and no other major league park.    Also a good job by Akin, coming in with nobody out and not letting either of the inherited runners on 1st and 3rd score, keeping Kremer’s runs allowed line to a minimum.    
    • You guys are right in terms of WAR, so I was just curious where Santander ranked by position. Per ESPN, Santander ranks: 1. 11th in OPS for all MLB outfielders. I couldn't believe this, but it's true. 2. If he qualified as DH, that same OPS would rank 2nd in MLB. Yes, those numbers can move for any number of reasons, but he certainly looks like he could be one of the top DHs in MLB. WAR doesn't value that very highly, but I don't really care about that. Not all stats are always helpful. To Frobby's point, if he's replaced by a better defensive outfielder with a decent bat, it could be a really nice net positive move. https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/player/_/position/of/table/batting/sort/OPS/dir/desc
    • Seems ridiculous to me.  But then again, I’ve never understood how umps decide what is a balk and what isn’t.  I doubt Bleier did anything different for this hitter than he’s done for the last 7 balkless years with runners on base.  
    • Man, this year's crop of FA 2Bs is seriously one of the most anemic FA classes for a particular position that I have ever seen. Assuming Philly declines his $17 million club option (which is very likely but not even a complete certainty), there is exactly one guy who has a sustained track record of legitimately above average production, Jean Segura, and he is ~33 and coming off a solid but somewhat down year by his prior standards. After that, there is one guy coming off a good year but with very little prior track record, Brandon Drury, and then it's pretty much all downhill from there. I suppose a team could sign a big money FA SS like Xander or Trea to play 2B if they are open to switching positions, but that would be a pretty inefficient use of resources for most teams. Or they could sign a SS and move their current SS over to 2B if they can afford to/are willing to pay market rates for a quality everyday SS. In light of all of that, I wonder if some of our potential IF excess, like Urias, Mateo, Westburg, and Ortiz, might fetch a fair amount more in trade from a MIF-needy team than they would in an offseason where there are at least a couple of fairly attractive everyday 2B options. Hopefully Elias can cash in on the situation, whether that be in the form of immediate help for the big league club or more prospects to keep the future talent pipeline pumping. Either way, we definitely seem to be in a strong position heading into the offseason.
    • Ben Clemens did an interesting study of how catchers’ speed drops off compared to other positions.   His conclusion: catchers’ speed doesn’t drop off any faster than anyone else’s, it’s just that they’re slower on average to begin with.  So, the wear and tear from catching doesn’t cause any extraordinary loss of speed.    The other interesting part was just the general path of speed loss for all players.   On average, it’s pretty much a constant, not something that accelerates at a certain age.  Generally speaking, it’s about 0.14 feet per second per year.  Obviously, an individual player can vary.     
    • There is no 'intent to cheat' if it's not against the rules.  Athletes forever have been taking supplements of one kind or another to try to get an edge.  As long as it's legal and not against the rules then no problem.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now